DjangoBooks.com

iPhone 4 tracks

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in Recording Posts: 1,752
Hey all,

I don't know if any of you use an iPhone, but I noticed you can now download some simple four-track recording software to use on the fly. There's this version ($10), and this one (99 cents!), and I think there are others...

Any chance anyone has tried one of these? My thought was that with a small mic they might make for an easy way to do some impromptu concert recording, etc. without having to have a bunch of equipment on hand...

best,
Jack.

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    if there were a firewire port on the phone, then it would be great...
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    I have the first version (Sonoma) and think it's great. It's excellent for trying out ideas, recording a quick backing track, things like that.

The two drawbacks for recording gigs (although I haven't tried) would be that you can only record one mono track at any one time, and there is no way to set the levels. They recommend "moving closer or further away" from the source. I just don't think that's going to be very good in a live situation!

Still, it's a great tool and I'm really pleased with it.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey Tim,

Thanks for that; I'll give the Sonoma version a spin and see how it goes...have you tried using it with an external mic? It's hard to imagine the phone mic itself giving great results.

Do you find yourself exporting stuff to your computer for further mixing, or do you use it more as a quick and dirty audio notepad, like a sketchbook?

best,
    Jack.
    Hi Jack,

I haven't tried using an external mic, although I mean to dig out the one I used with my minidisc. To be honest, though, the phone mic is remarkably good - you'll be surprised. I could email you an example if you like.

I've exported stuff to the computer to go with the other backing tracks I have for practicing on itunes. I can't see myself doing anything other than that though because I have a better set up for more permanent recording, so it's just being used as a sketchbook. A very convenient one!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Wow... So - it does decent acoustic 4 track recording... thats on a phone... with nothing else - no cables/mics - nothing... meaning absolutely on-the-fly recording tunes in multi-track anywhere at any time using something you carry all the time anyway? That is so unfathomably cool I seriously can't cope with it.

I guess it's just another reason that I need to overcome my resistance to the Iphone and just get one.

I have a 3+ year old Motorola Razor and ... well... it's just a great phone and I have nothing to complain about. It's the first phone I've ever had where there just isn't anything odd or irritating about it... it just works so well. I upgraded to a Motorola Sliver but wound up going back because the Razor is just rock solid... but that Iphone has been working its magic on me this past year... ah the temptation... Now it does 4-track recording.... must.... resist... temptation...
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    You can also play Django Reinhardt solos on it: :D

• Hi Jack,

I have Sonoma Wire Works' FourTrack for my Ipod Touch. I used it a few weeks ago to record an original tune, consisting of two acoustic guitar tracks, voice and piano. Since the Touch does not have an internal mic (and even if it did I'd want better quality) I used an external microphone (an AKG C1000.) In short, it worked really well. I made a little home-made connector so I could use my own headphones and mic. It was easy and I made a decent demo quality recording. They recently upgraded the app to include a built in compressor and EQ for mastering -- very nice upgrade there.

If I wanted to make a more serious recording, I'd use my Roland BR-1200, but FourTrack is a great value and a handy-dandy program.

BUT -- if you want to make concert/live recordings, you don't really need the four track capability. There are other iPhone/Touch apps for 2-track recording. Get one of these and a good mic (maybe the Blue Mikey?)

-Phil
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, everyone...I've had the Sonoma app for a while now and really enjoy it...I haven't found much need for anything else recording-wise, but what does everyone use for other musical things (tuners, metronomes, etc.)?

And Bob, if you haven't given in yet, you should. I was in the same boat ("this razr works fine already!") but can't imagine life without it now, and I'm pretty far from being very technical minded...

best,
    Jack
    I haven't really used the four track since apple's own "voice memos" came out. It has just as good audio quality as far as I can tell. It's only one track of course but that's mainly what I used the four track for anyway. It's good that you can email the track immediately, which a is really useful tool to use while teaching.

Other music related apps I have:

Cleartune tuner - brilliant
    Pocket guitar - pointless
    Metronome (one of the free ones) - occasionally useful
    Karajan (free) - quite good, the paid one would be a lot better
    iReal Book - superb, used it on a gig only yesterday for a tune I didn't know.