DjangoBooks.com

Amazing response - Online Birthday Bash!

NolanNolan Amsterdam✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 149
Hey Guys,

The response to this has been amazing. Join me online for my birthday and catch all the great performances live.

www.RobinNolanTeaches.com/BirthdayBash

Please help spread the word and pass this message on to a couple of your friends.

Cheers,
Robin
www.GypsyJazzSecrets.com
www.Gypsyjazzworldpassport.com

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    well i wish i could've been there in person or even online but today... windows vista decided to wipe my computer clean.. massively corrupting my c drive beyond recognition... windows vista launched its wmd on my harddisk .... all my work gone... luckily some of it was backed up... but lots of dvd scripts / lesson plans are gone... so i spent most of my afternoon on the phone with tech support but to no avail...

oh well , such is life!!! i hope people had a great time!!!!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    It was a great show. I can't wait until the video gets posted online.
  • robertsaundersrobertsaunders Brookline, MA✭✭✭✭ 2007 Gitane DB-255
    Loved the live video party—it was stupendous. I was gabbing in the chat area all night while watching. I stayed online from 3pm EST till 7:40pm, about 1:40 Amsterdam time?

I enjoyed seeing people mill around in the bar and picking out people I knew, even to the point of charting the progress of guys chatting up women. :-) The sound quality was generally good. Glitches came now and then and at one point there was a blackout. Then in a few minutes it was back on and everything was fine. Robin's performance was great, and so were his guests—Gonzalo came across clear and strong, Jorgensen was great, as was Jason Anick. Lollo Meier wasn't miked well, which was a shame. The Limbergers, Martin and—was it Tcha on fiddle?—came across well. John Friedrichs and Kevin Nolan did great on rhythm. On bass was mostly Arnoud van den Berg, and later there was a fiddler I forget and Robin Katz who was interesting, if a little loud. Thomas Baggerman (fellow Django in June attendee) who had been in the audience all night, ascended the stage, had some trouble with his pickup, but then fixed his sound and commenced to tear up the fretboard. Adrien and Nomy didn't make it, but actually they weren't missed! My favorite was Gonzalo's solo on "Flora." He's getting scary good.

The chat room was hopping, that was a particularly cool aspect about the event. You could get observations from fellow fans and give opinions and joke with them in real time as the event unfolded. Archtop Ed, you were in attendance I noticed!

All in all, it was really fun to watch. When you clicked on the full screen, it was like you were there. Can't wait till they do the next one.

Robin, bravo!

~Rob
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The violin gent later on was Jelle Van Tongeren.

The guy I didn't recognize was the one after Thomas - the guy who kind of looked like ****.

Yeah it would have been neat to hear the Zaiti guys but they've been working like crazy lately - they were sad that they couldn't make it - but the good news is that they're in the studio working on a new album and are excited about the way its sounding - the music is gelling well and it's being recorded acoustically with Neumann mics and the whole kit. I can't wait for that. Their last album was a stunner so that's definitely something to look forward to.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    It was a great party and a great way to end 2008! Since many folks didn't get to see Robin this year at DFNW, this event was all the more special. Robert did a great job summarizing the broadcast and performances. I had a ball playing along on guitar with everyone while they were performing. Got in my 5 hours of practice that day! :wink:

Use of the Ustream.TV technology was also a fantastic idea. I look forward to others trying this. It was very effective. Web technology, forums, emails, cell phones and cheap long distance and international phone rates have brought our community of players together. Ustream brings another facet to the table.

Of course, nothing beats face-to-face meetings and jam sessions, so I look forward to seeing you all at some point during 2009. Again, thanks Robin and a tip of the hat to the gang for making this happen!

AE
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Indeed, t'was good. Better than i thought an on-line party could be (not having experienced one before). You felt like being at a party a bit, what with the chatroom thing. Cool.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    massively corrupting my c drive beyond recognition... windows vista launched its wmd on my harddisk .... all my work gone... luckily some of it was backed up... but lots of dvd scripts / lesson plans are gone... so i spent most of my afternoon on the phone with tech support but to no avail...

should have called me. i would have had you immediately install one of the programs at: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?q=file+recovery

Its still not too late. Run it and you might find a few deleted files.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    hi jon, well a friend also helped me out and had me install one of those recovery programs... unfortunately all my important data was unretrievable (corrupt data)... i was still able to get a few things though... oh well... it's not the end of the world... i hope 2009 is a better year for me!!

thanks