DjangoBooks.com

Kliphuis tutorial DVD's?

PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
edited March 2009 in Violin Posts: 119
Well. with the year about gone, I was wondering if there is any recent news on the Kliphuis/Grappelli tutorial DVD's? Last projected date I heard was this month (Dec). Anyone know? Thanks!
Violin's swing the best!

Comments

• MaldororMaldoror New
    a few weeks ago he told me it might be late january.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    ya everything is done but mel bay decided to release the book a few weeks ago (it was due over a year ago I believe), and Tim decided it would be best to wait a little bit so it shouldn't be long ...
  • PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    You are talking about the book/single CD that's out right now? Is it worth considering? Or should one wait for the upcoming release?
    Violin's swing the best!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i don't know about the book, i haven't seen it, but tim's a great teacher...

the main difference between the book and the DVD is that I worked with tim to design the DVD...

i know that the book also has transcriptions too...

btw, it's not just one DVD, it's a 2 DVD set (you 'll be able to buy separately)... it's about 6 hours worth of instruction
  • FlatfiveFlatfive Sonora, CANew
    What level of playing is the DVD aimed at? I have been playing swing for 30 years but I always like to find new ideas.
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Flatfive wrote:
    What level of playing is the DVD aimed at? I have been playing swing for 30 years but I always like to find new ideas.

b5:

There are two volumes both about 3 hrs in length. Vol 1 is entitled "Learning the Sound". In this volume TK instructs 3 students in the art of obtaining a Jazz Sound. Not quite as straight-forward as I would have thought.

TK deals with many aspects of jazz violin technique such as vibrato restraint (a big problem for classical players), bow tension, jazz bowing, chain bowing, slides (never reach the note in Jazz always stop flat!).

You wouldn't think that some of these subtle differences( and there are many more) would make such a big difference in the authenticity of the sound but man, it sure does. When you start to incorporate these facets into your playing you can immediately hear it start to SWING!

Vol 2 is entitled "Grappelli and Beyond". In this volume TK moves through and focuses on the many aspects of Grappelli's distinctive style!

Either of these two volumes should keep the student busy for a very long time!

From a technical point of view TK is an excellent teacher. He puts his concepts out there in a manner that is easily understood and quickly assimilated by the student.

cheers

Wayne Nakamura/HyperHip Media
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i just ordered the DVDs to give as a gift to someone. also, cant wait to watch them myself just to check it out.