DjangoBooks.com

More results : Musette for a magpie + Swing for Ninine

Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
edited November 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 101
Hi there !

I´d like to share a bit of the good results from working on the rest-stroke technique.

"Musette for a magpie" is composed by Martin Taylor. I nailed the whole thing in March, then discovered Gypsy Picking in May and re-learned it and rearranged the fingerings a little. Thanks again to Michael, your book helped me a lot !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLURj70bRYk

Comments are welcome, I personally think it´ll take some more time to get this really "fluid" and in better timing.

For the gear I used : Gitane DG 255, Wegen Fatone pick, Neumann TLM 103 microphone

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Well done and a nice melody!

Can you post a chart or tab?
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    Bones wrote:
    Well done and a nice melody!

Can you post a chart or tab?

Sure ! (and thanks!)

I couldn´t be bothered to remake it with the new fingerings, but there´s different ways of playing it anyway.

In Bar 33 it might be a Bm7b5 instead of B°. In the recording it was a bit hard to hear, but Bm7b5 would be more "logical". Both work fine, though...
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    you get a very nice tone out of that gitane. thanks for the tab
  • patrolpatrol Greece,Athens✭✭✭ Eimers & Goulielmos Antique
    yeah,very nice sound. 8)
  • spirospiro Zagreb, CroatiaNew
    really nice playing man!! and beautiful tune, clear example of less is more...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Thanks for the tab. I'll give it a try.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Great job Matthias! I think you improved that song by playing it with rest-strokes! As you probably know, Martin Taylor is a free-stroke picker....maybe he should take a lesson with you!

'm
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    Got one more fresh out of the oven :)

I admit that the lead playing is slightly sloppy (some bum notes and quite a few licks are dragging behind the beat....shame on me) I guess it´ll take me another year to really nail this tune, especially at the speed that Romane plays it....that´s out of reach for now.

But I am kind of proud of the Pompe. I think it swings nicely and has that very subtle upstroke. Hope you´ll enjoy, and don´t hesitate to fire any comments at me.

Best wishes,
    M.

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    Super job on Swing for Nanine!!! Can you forward your backing track? Very nice swing feel and just right for your playing style.

Thanks!
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat
    This waltz is very nice - never heard it before. Can you also forward the backing track?

Thanks!
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!