DjangoBooks.com

Where to go in paris for GJ ?

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
edited January 2009 in Welcome Posts: 485
I guess thats like asking where to get a cheeseburger in New York, but really. I have a few days planned in paris in February and would love feedback on a good GJ club, guitar store or anything useful for my stay. My first time there. Thanks!!

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Paris!! Man!! You're in for a great time!!
    There's at least one GJ jam every day!!!

Here's some useful info:

Adrien Moignard and the Zaiti acoustic quartet play every monday at "La Taverne du Cluny" in the Rue de la Harpe, it's in the latin quarter on the corner of St Michel and St Germain.
    Not to be missed!!!!
    While you're there, go to the counter and pick up a free copy of a little magazine called "LYLO" it lists most concerts and some jams for two weeks or so, great little thing! Lots of Gypsy Jazz.

La Chope aux Puces, close to the flea market in the north, near Clignancourt is a legendary bar where Ninine Garcia plays every sunday, big names often drop in for a jam and I'm talking Bireli, Tchavolo, Angelo, Romane.
    Another must!!

The "Atelier Charone" often features good jazz manouche.

A couple of useful links (in french):
    http://www.djangostation.com/agenda.php ... 2008-12-01

http://www.djangostation.com/Boeufs-et- ... a,291.html

The music stores are close to la Place de Clichy, around the Rue de Douai.

R&F Charle shop is on the Galerie Vero Dodat very close to the Louvre. I think the street name is Rue des petites Ecuries. Beautiful place!!!
    http://www.rfcharle.com/

Guitare Village is just outside Paris on Domont.
    http://guitare-village.com/

Good luck and Bon Voyage!!
    Don't hesitate to ask if you want more info.
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Harry, just unbelievable great information. Thanks very very much.
    Glad to help.

Enjoy!!
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    Yes, Harry got it all summed up... BUT Rosyne & François Charle's shop is indeed PASSAGE VEROT-DODAT, but that's near the Louvre, actually look for "Rue Croix des petits champs" not rue des petites écuries, which is where you'll find Jazz club " Le New Morning", and that's a few metro station away for the Passage Verot-Dodat"...

As far as buying guitars goes, nothing compares to Guitare-Village 's choice and stock of new and used gipsy guitars.

Be sure to check the concert announcements on manoucheries and feel free to ask a question there, they can be helpful sometime :)

Enjoy !

Ah, La Choppe was closed and reopened last week, I'm not certain Ninine and his father still play there every weekend, but it's supposedly bigger better and all that jive, now :)

Django symphonique will also be playing three nights in feb.2009 with Stochelo as a solist, in ye olde "Cirque d'hiver"...

Voila !
    "There's no business like shoe business"
    BUT Rosyne & François Charle's shop is indeed PASSAGE VEROT-DODAT, but that's near the Louvre, actually look for "Rue Croix des petits champs" not rue des petites écuries, which is where you'll find Jazz club " Le New Morning", and that's a few metro station away for the Passage Verot-Dodat"...
    Yes, Super Mario Maccaferri's right! I went to see Brandford Marsalis play at the "New Morning" and I guess the street name got stuck in my head.

Wow! If you get to see Stochelo with Django symphonique i'm gonna be so jealous!!
    :wink: Call me super... or Just Mario.

Oh by the way, Django symphonique exists in DVD now, with Stochelo as soloist, and if you go to François Charle's shop pick a copy of The History of Slmer-Maccaferri Guitars, it's just been reprinted to 1000 more French copies and 1000 english copies too, it was out of print since long and will soon be again. End of commercial break (I don't get any royalties from the book or DVD, alas)
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Just wrote to Francois - my copy is reserved!

I've been trying to buy this book for years... almost had two guys talked into selling, but both decided to keep the book.

It's crazy, right? He has this book. It's written. It's published. It's ready to print. Lots of people want it. It's a great book and basically - its his legacy. The decision for F.Charle is... well... do I want to increase the chance that my legacy will survive while making $200,000 to help me retire... or not? I wish all of life's decisions were so easy ;)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Swing 69Swing 69 ScotlandNew
    Hi guys, great thread...wanna just jump in and ask, is there music at la chope des puce every day, or just weekends?. By reading this, things have changed somewhat and I'm online now looking at nice cheap flights to Paris for the end of January, beginning of February, but I need things to work nice with my work as I work a shift pattern, making the weekend may not be suitable......unless?
    Super Mario..any word on dates for Stochelo in Feb?
    Blues Bop.....Great info too my man!.
    :) Right on right on
    not only one, not just two, not three... but four !

Bireli, Stochelo, Andreas Oberg & Florin Niculescu, along with the Christiansand Symphonic orchestra, in "Le Cirque d'Hiver" ( nice venue)

as "DJANGO SYMPHONIQUE", feb 12,13,14. Could it be any better, I doubt it :)
    http://symphonicdjango.com/djangosymphonique/
  • favino881favino881 Strasbourg, France✭✭✭✭
    Django symphonique exists in DVD now, with Stochelo as soloist
    What?!!! :shock: Did I miss the release announcement?! Where can we get this?!
    Merci! ;-)