DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

AbbeyLyman TDog test joechoo LatriceCha

AER Compact 60 versus Roland AC-60

djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
Has anyone compared the Compact 60 to the Roland AC-60? Just curious. I got to hear the AC-60 yesterday and it sounded great, so I'm wondering if the Compact 60 is better. Or more accurately, is it $500 better?

The AC-60 has some feedback control too, which is attractive. Anyone?

Thanks,

Adam

Comments

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I've played through both using a schertler DYN-G.

Honestly, to my (admittedly untrained) ears I can't tell which is better. In my opinion, they are both on the warm and muddy side and its hard to get a whole lot of treble out of them. I've heard an Aylward/bigtone combo through a Compact 60 and thought it sounded like total crap. On the other hand, most of the performers at DjangofestSF were using them and they all sounded great.

Now I play through a Unico and that smokes both of them, but it is, after all, built for the pickup.
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Well, here's an update, in case anyone cares to know...

I bit the bullet and bought a Compact 60. After playing through the Roland amp, I can say without hesitation that the Compact 60 sounds significantly better. The best way I can explain it that the Compact 60 sounds warm and accurate where the AC 60 sounded thin. It's also ever so slightly smaller. Not a cheap little amp, but definitely worth the extra cash.

V-dub, I don't find it to be muddy at all, but I have a different pickup (Schatten) and I use a Baggs preamp. I know the Schertler amps mate perfectly with their pickups, but I wonder if others have found the pickups to sound muddy with the Compact 60.
  • mdog114mdog114 New
    Has anyone tried using the Roland Cube series amps with these types of guitars?

I have both a 30 & a 60 that I use with my jazz box and the BF model is the cat's meow. For such a tiny, cheap package, these things are great, so I figured I'd ask.