DjangoBooks.com

Fingerings.....?

FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
edited November 2008 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 52
Hi, not to rock the boat at all....but I have a technique based question. I've been playing a long time but I am new to GJ. I understand the need for discipline and respect as regards this style and how business is done traditionally having read a bunch of books. I get that GJ players are very faithful to the way it was done in Django's time and how they stay true to that mostly.

I have a question though about fingerings. I was looking at a Rhythm Futur transcription by a Pete Lewis and I noticed the one lick was TAB'd out using this fingering.....

Picture11-2.png

To me while I like aspects of it I also find the following fingering easier to grab and I am able to play it much faster...with much more ease.

Picture12-2.png

Is it okay to use whatever fingering falls naturally to me or should I be really observing tradition here. Also I don't know if Mr Lewis' take is accurate so I would love you guys to tell me which one you go for.

I must add that being new to this style I am not picking strict GJ style according to Michael's book. My style is different in that while I use rest strokes, I am in reverse to everything as I usually start on an upstroke. Also, while I am waiting for my GJ guitar to be delivered I am practicing on a double cutaway......... so maybe these notes are not easily reachable on a Selmac.

Anyway, I understand I might be missing a big chunk of the picture here.......hence this post to see what you experienced GJ players have to say about it.

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    That first version looks totally wrong to me...I'm pretty sure the second version is the one most people use, Stochelo does (0:59):
    BTW most people play it an octave lower for Rhythm futur.

It's actually a very common lick based on the E7 form.
    Check out this one, it's also based on that form: viewtopic.php?t=5436

I'm not an expert but the gypsies I have seen play with very common positions and fingering, nothing too weird about it... except when you get into Bireli's domain!

PS. What guitar did you order in the end?
  • FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
    That guy Stochelo just slays me......YOWZA!!!! I am just so impressed with his playing, most definitely my new guitar hero. I have been getting his stuff at iTunes and it's all I listen to on the iPod now....I am even turning off Sirius and plugging the iPod in instead, in the car.

Yeah cool, so basically that guy's TAB was mostly incorrect then?

Yeah Stochelo is doing sorta close to how I wrote it out...just 10X more intense.... and yes the octave lower is much better. I tried it down there to see how it worked and liked it...... I guess if I had bothered to listen to the actual recording of it I would have noticed that....I was just going by that chart. Duh!!

Thanks BluesBop.

Oh I ordered the Cigano GJ-10 with the full setup and a custom bridge. Unfortunately it got damaged in shipping by DHL so I had to ship it back and am waiting for a replacement. I played it for two days before I sent it........LOVED it!!!!! That Josh bridge is the shiznit!
    Cheers bluebop, I was looking for places to try that trick out after I read your post last night!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    if you're fans of stochelo rosenberg... apparently he's releasing an instructional DVD... www.therosenbergtrio.eu

hmmmm i wonder who's the producer
    I'm going to be all over that instructional when it comes out. Thanks for the heads up. I am going to be picking brain a lot here also if that's alright with you blokes. I am a glutton for info.

Nice site Rosenberg Trio has, free 192kbps downloads and all. I notice they play the Netherlands a lot. Does Stochelo come here a lot?

What I really like about this site so far is that there seems to be a very nice and attitude free vibe around here ....... unlike some other guitar forums.

I suppose the intense nature of this music has something to do with it. I know even with myself there is a bit of an " I could do that" attitude when listening to much of rock, blues or pop music. I tend to not verbalize stuff like that but I might think it.

With GJ it is like " Holy heck.....will I ever be able to do that?"

I am a humble person by nature.....I am being humbled even more, everytime I listen to these hot GJ players.

A long road ahead folks. Nice to meet you, I hope to fit in here real well.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Fingers wrote:
    Nice site Rosenberg Trio has, free 192kbps downloads and all. I notice they play the Netherlands a lot. Does Stochelo come here a lot?

Since your location bar is blank, I don't know where "here" is, but my understanding is that the show they just played at Djangofest NW was their first time in the USA in 10 years. They live in NL, so if "here" for you is the UK, you'll probably have a much higher chance of catching them live than if "here" for you is USA!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Sorry guys, I meant USA....I am in Los Angeles.