DjangoBooks.com

Dark Eyes_Andre Krengel version

La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
edited November 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 48
Hi all

I'm new to Gypsy Jazz and the fine art of transcribing, but one of the first gypsy jazz pieces I heard was Andre Krengel's version of Dark Eyes on YouTube, which completely blew me away:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWFVqvAy9Q

I was inspired to attempt to transcribe it (took me the best part of a week!), but had a lot of fun and learned a lot of useful licks in the process.

I'm posting my effort here in pdf format out of respect for the artist - it is my interpretation, meant for private study purposes only.
I can also post it in Guitar Pro (.gp5) format if anyone would prefer.

It isn't perfect - please let me know if there are any errors or better fingerings.

That's the easy bit.
Now all I've got to do is practise for 20 years till I can play it up to speed !!! :D

Thanks Andre - hope to see you on your next tour....

Comments

• La GitaneLa Gitane Llanelli, UK✭✭✭
    Hi!

Some members have had problems with my other recent transcription posting ("Undecided") because the Adobe Acrobat printer defaults to "Do Not Embed Fonts" during creation of the .pdf file. This results in substitution of the fonts and complete gibberish on the host's computer. As the music notation fonts are already installed on my computer, I can't tell if the pdfs that I produce are legible or not on other computers; so I'm re-posting my "Dark Eyes" transcription with the fonts embedded this time!

Apologies for any frustration if you've been affected by this glitch.

Please let me know if the attached works or not, & I'll do my best to remedy any further problems if they still occur...

Latcho Drom
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I cant read it on my Windows XP computer. The text is all converted into punctuation marks.

By the way, I believe all the licks from Krengels version are Django licks taken from various Django dark eyes solos isn't it?

In any case, I agree. I believe Andre Krengels version is the greatest version of Dark Eyes that has ever been played. I wish I could read the transcription... :-(
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Still punctuation for me as well...did you do the whole thing, or just the second half? The first half is a well-known Django solo that's often played verbatim (see below). It's been transcribed before and can be found online if you're looking for something to compare yours against.

best,
    Jack.
    Hi Guys

Sorry about this - I share your frustration - I can't understand why the music notation font still keeps crashing and not appearing as on my computer.

Yeah - I transcribed the whole piece as seen on YouTube.
    As you've pointed out, a lot of the solo is taken from the traditional arrangement, and some of the other licks are very similar to the Stocholo Rosenberg version, but for my money this is still a fantastic version of a classic tune...

I've posted the guitar pro file here; though I've had to wrap it in a .zip folder, as the newsgroup won't allow posting of files with a .gp5 attachment for some reason. Apologies for those of you without Guitar Pro - if I find a way to reliably convert to .pdf, I'll re-post.

Thanks for your patience.
    Really hope it works for you this time - please let me know!

Best wishes
    By the way - many thanks for the link to the Petro Ivanovich version of Dark Eyes, Jack - really enjoyed that one.

He does for Dark Eyes what Hendrix did for "The Star Spangled Banner" !! :)

Best wishes
    I cant open the Guitar Pro file either because you saved it as "Version 5".

can you resave the file as "version 4" and repost?

alternatively you can use a thing called "CutePDF" to print the original version of the pdf to a new PDF file that is more compatable with all of our systems.

let me know what you can do... i really want to see your transcription.
    Hi All

Apologies for the ongoing frustration!!
    Never guessed that trying to share my transcriptions could be so problematic :(

Never mind... maybe THIS time I'll get it right!!!

I've bundled together a bunch of different formats of the transcriptions in the attached zip file:
    Guitar Pro 4, pdf (new version printed direct from Guitar Pro 5), MIDI and PowerTab 1.7

Hopefully one of these will work for someone, somewhere... :?

PowerTab seems to be a popular platform on this forum, so I've exported as a PowerTab file too, however the only way I could do this was to export from Guitar Pro 5 via a MIDI file. In the process, effects such as slides and bends have been lost in translation; hence some of the notes sound a tone or semitone flat - apologies! I'm sure you can hear where the notes sound "wrong", and take this as an instruction to slide or bend as appropriate to the correct pitch!

Please let me know if you managed to open the files OK, and as always I'd be grateful for any feedback or improvements to my efforts.

With all very best wishes....
    yes, that latest PDF file works. thanks!
    Thanks for the feedback on the pdf, "Djangology".
    Hope the Guitar Pro 4 format worked OK for you too...

Next time I post pdfs, I'll know to create them direct from Guitar Pro 5, as this seems to work OK; rather than printing to Adobe Acrobat, which doesn't seem to incorporate the correct font set no matter which options I use...

Have also re-posted my transcription for "Undecided" in multiple formats on this forum.

Hope you all enjoy the transcriptions - feedback/improvements/requests for future efforts welcomed!!
    Ill post some feedback on your dark eyes transcription after I get a chance to sit down and work through it for a few hours... it might be a while but I promise I will leave some feedback.