DjangoBooks.com

Which Gitane or Cigano to get?

I am new to Gypsy Jazz. I plan on getting a Gitane or Cigano but I want one with a 1 3/4" nut width and a fairly thin neck thickness (front to back of neck). What is the nut width for a Cigano GJ-15? I like the looks of the D-shape hole but all the Gitane's seem to have a 1 7/8" nut. So which Gitane or Cigano have a 1 3/4" nut and slim neck thickness? My budget is $600 max. Thanks!

Comments

• FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
    I wish I could say for sure but my first GJ guitar is not yet in my hands. I ordered a Cigano GJ-10 and should get it soon, the next couple days.

I paid to have the full setup done and in talking with Michael and Josh about it and based on reports on the forum, this guitar gets high marks as an entry level GJ guitar under $1000 or so....good value for the money.

Josh also told me the neck is slim.

I would take a good look at it and perhaps consider it over the D-Hole model as in the GJ-10 the neck joins the body at the 14th fret unlike the 12th fret on the D-Hole.

This guitar with the ful setup and shipping will put you right close to your budget.

I will be happy to give you a report as soon as I get mine.

I am certain other Cigano GJ-10 owners who know way more than me will weigh in soon.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Only the Cigano GJ-15 and the Gitane D-500 have the 1 7/8" nut. All the other models have a 1 3/4" nut.

In the $600 price range I recommend the Cigano GJ-10....it's only $330 so you can spend a little more on setup work (new bridge, fret level, etc.) Usually that brings out the best in playability and tone.

good luck!

'm
  • renomanrenoman New
    So there's no D shaped hole guitar with the 1 3/4" nut? If not which oval shaped hole has the thinnest neck with a 1 3/4" nut? Also are there any other GJ guitar makers that make a D shaped hole with a 1 3/4" nut?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote="renoman"]So there's no D shaped hole guitar with the 1 3/4" nut? [/quote]

no...not a 12 fret one anyway. The DG-320 is a 14 fret D hole and has 1 3/4 nut.

[quote]
    If not which oval shaped hole has the thinnest neck with a 1 3/4" nut? [/quote]

The GJ-10, DG-255, and DG-310 all have very thin necks. Almost like electrics..a bit weird in my opinion.

[quote]
    Also are there any other GJ guitar makers that make a D shaped hole with a 1 3/4" nut?[/quote]

all the 14 fret D holes have 1 3/4 nut. See:

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    I don't know if this has remained the same but the old DG 250M had a very slim neck. Incidentally mine (n° 7O2) is aging beautifully (I suspect maple, although laminated, has something to do with this...)
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Hi,

I'm thinking of picking up a Cigano; the D-hole model. I have the Saga 250M and love it. But I've been traveling quite a bit recently and would like a guitar that I wouldn't mind taking a few dents and dings. Is this a good choice for a budget guitar that won't sacrifice sound quality? I tried out the Dell Arte pigalle and was very disappointed. How does the Cigano compare?

Thanks for any insights in advance...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I've heard the Cigano D-hole is pretty much the same as the Gitane D-500 which I played and it is a good guitar, a little wet and bassy but good and loud. The shorter scale feels comfortable and I love the looks of D-holes.

However if I was going for a Cigano I'd get the oval hole which some very trustworthy people say it's the best sounding of ALL the Sagas, and that would include the 250M.
    So if that's true, you might end up using your current guitar as the traveling instrument and leave the Cigano safe at home!

Either way for the price you can't go wrong.
    Good luck!
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Thanks for the insight Harry. I keep hearing good things about the Ciganos but can't find anywhere to try them out! I think I will stick with grabbing a D-hole because as you said they are, "wet and bassy" which is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks again for the advice. Hope to catch your act in Mexico City. I have a lot of family down there and try to make it once a year.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I hope you love it!
    Anyway, It's really cool owning one of each type, a Selmer and a Maccaferri.

Please do try and contact me whenever in Mexico, we'll get together and jam!