DjangoBooks.com

Jazz archtop guitar to play gipsy jazz/manouche?

Comments

• fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    Speaking of archtops, we have this super cool Collings AT-16 Koa model coming into the shop. Drop dead gorgeous...

qas60ix3vwbq.jpg

Wow...I would sell my grandma for that....stunning...
    MichaelHorowitz
  • lovely looking guitar indeed. I can hardly wait to hear your clip
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    That is a stunning guitar! I've just picked this old Hofner up. No label inside so I need to do a bit of research to find out which model exactly it is, but I think it's probably made in thec60's as it has the truss rod. It's living in the lounge at the moment and doesn't sound too bad for GJ. Very quiet though, so good for late night practicing. (Apologies if the wallpaper hurts your eyes, we've just moved house and I've yet to take the stripper to that room!lol)
  • @fourowls I think you'd find having even an I expensive GJ guitar would be all the convincing you need. I played on a second hand Gitane 250m for a couple of years before lucking into my Dupont. I swear if I knew what I know now, I'd have cut out the beginner guitar and fine straight for the kill. It was really hard to sell my Gitane; original owner actually bought it back from me. If you know you're into it; but the most guitar you can.
    You wouldn't settle for a cheapo flat top; you'd get a Martin, Gibson, or Taylor. other guitars are
  • fourowlsfourowls Brisbane, Queensland, AustraliaNew Petrarca Grande Bouche
    rgrice wrote: »
    @fourowls I think you'd find having even an I expensive GJ guitar would be all the convincing you need. I played on a second hand Gitane 250m for a couple of years before lucking into my Dupont. I swear if I knew what I know now, I'd have cut out the beginner guitar and fine straight for the kill. It was really hard to sell my Gitane; original owner actually bought it back from me. If you know you're into it; but the most guitar you can.
    You wouldn't settle for a cheapo flat top; you'd get a Martin, Gibson, or Taylor. other guitars are
    Yes true, and I have a handmade ERG (Israeli luthiers) and it is a different league to the Gitanes and Altamiras (the Altamiras were actually not bad at all!).
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah what Michael said about archtops. Typically good (or great) for rhythm but don't have the single note cutting power of a good Selmac ACOUSTICALLY. Amplified a different story. Feedback (when amplified) can be an issue but that needs to be dealt with on any acoustic guitar, archtop or selmac.

That said every instrument is different and if you find one you like, great!
  • Is this guitar for sale?
  • I think if you contact Michael Horowitz he will tell you when it arrives at his shop. Unless already spoken for it should be for sale
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2017 Posts: 3,319
    PS- BTW, don't get me wrong. I love archtops! Love Selmacs too! As they say, it's all good.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @
    Is this guitar for sale?

@Michael_Glenn Yes, we just listed it here: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/collings-at16-koa

I've been playing the Collings AT16 for the last hour, it's really quite incredible! Very balanced but still with nice presence and great single note projection. You can go from swing to Beatles to folk to Gypsy and it all sounds good!