DjangoBooks.com

Need song suggestions.

wierdOnewierdOne Northwest Florida✭✭
edited October 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 6
I play dinner jazz in local restaurants, and have been slowly getting into gypsy jazz...

now i'm playing with a violin player every friday night...

we're doing instrumental swing, bop, cool jazz, and pop tunes.... and we'd like to add some gypsy jazz standards to our mix...

I figure Minor Swing is a given.... but.... From there... i'm not sure where to go...

we'd like to add about 10 different tunes, hopefully covering decent ground in the gypsy jazz world... from slow to fast tunes.... different styles...

perhaps Bossa Dorado?

anyways...

I'm going to get some instructional material, but I'd like to have a decent list of tunes that we can start learning together while we work on our gypsy technique..

I'm just looking for a good list of 10 decent tunes to start with (and good versions of the songs to listen to)... as our gypsy vocabulary increases, the more i'll pop up around here.. :)

so... anyone got a list of 10 gj tunes that we could start with?

thanks..

bill

Comments

Check out the "Get Ready Musically" at Django in June.

Here's the tune list ...

Dark Eyes, Minor Swing, Django's Castle, Bossa Dorado, Minor Blues, Swing 42, Swing Gitan, Swing 39, Douce Ambiance, Djangology, Daphne, All of Me, Limehouse Blues, Lady Be Good, It Don't Mean a Thing, I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Sweet Georgia Brown

The website has a pdf of some of the lead sheets!

http://www.djangoinjune.com/For_musicians/getready.html
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Hey Bill,
    Stackabones suggestion is great of course. The great thing of Gypsy Jazz is that it's Jazz !! So if you already play some, there are lots of tunes you might already know
    We play dinner jazz in restaurant as well. As an example, here's the playlist (not in order) we had last time :
    All of Me - Swing Gitan - Autumn Leaves - Daphne - Djangology - Seul ce soir - Sweet Sue - I can't give you anything but love - Dark Eyes - Coquette Douce ambiance - Noto Swing

Blue Drag - Honeysuckle Rose - Confessin' - Swing 42 - After you've gone - Nuages - Black Orpheus - It don't mean a thing - Avalon - Troublant Bolero - Lady be good - Sweet Georgia Brown - Minor Swing
    - JG
  • wierdOnewierdOne Northwest Florida✭✭
    Thanks guys..

I printed out the sheets and we played them on the gig... some of these are hard to figure out to solo over.... but we got through them, and i feel like i've stepped into a bigger and better world... :)