DjangoBooks.com

strings.

MaldororMaldoror New
edited September 2008 in Violin Posts: 37
can anyone recommend a good string for gypsy jazz and swing. i play an old $300 guarnarius style violin...never with a mic. i've tried Tziganes and Evahs. I'm interested in what other jazz fiddlers use.

I'm kindof interested in trying out gut...i read a few things by nonclassical fiddlers who used them successfully. i'm not going to be playing out for the next few months so i thought it might be a good time to experiment. eudoxas?

But I'd also like to hear some opinions on the higher quality steel strings like tomastic superflexable and Pirastro's Flexocor-Permanent.
Also other synthetics...I've heard Warchal brilliants might be good for me as well. any opinions?

please forward this link to any violinist-GJers who might know more as well..

thanks,
andrew

Comments

• PolkatPolkat Chico, CANew
    I use the John Pearse (sp?) strings a lot, and Dominants, which are both synthetic core strings which give my fiddle a warmer (non-bluegrass) sound. But I should mention from experience that different violins react differently to different strings, and hearing what string sounds good on another fiddle might not sound good on yours. I've heard that the spirial core steel strings can have a gut sound but I haven't tried them. The best bet is to try a variety of strings until you find one you like, but of course, that can get expensive.
    Violin's swing the best!