DjangoBooks.com

Triplets.

JoeKoolJoeKool New
edited September 2008 in Technique Posts: 2
Hello everybody;
does anyone have some advice on how to make the switch to those
famous tripletruns while soloing without tensing up or losing the groove?
Or is it "only" a matter of practicing hard enough?
Thxamillion,
Joe

Comments

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Make sure you learn the correct technique... then practice! practice! practice! (It won't help to practice bad technique.)

Stephane Wrembel had a great comment at one of his workshops at this past "Django in June": Nothing is difficult; it's just unfamiliar.

That's a nice way of looking at any of those "challenging" licks.
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Start slow! It's just plain hard to pull off triplet runs if you're doing them on a full speed swing tune, but if you get used to doing them on slower tunes, you'll start to hear how they fit on the faster ones.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that triplet runs on fast swing tunes are really only done well by the most advanced gypsy jazz players, so I wouldn't beat myself up about not being able to do them at this point. Just keep practicing until it's more comfortable.

I feel like a lot of folks with good taste and ears try to play beyond of their ability which undermines their real talent, particularly in gypsy jazz. But I suppose I'm just venting now.