DjangoBooks.com

Anyone know the story behind Selmer #5xx on Ebay?

KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
edited July 2008 in Classifieds Posts: 160
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330252672408&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=014

Based on what I can see in the listed photos, it appears the top (at the least) was refinished. The neck had cracked at the heel and pulled forward, cracking the top through the rosette, which suffered a bit of damage from the repairs.

What else am I missing apart from these observations and the listed modifications? History?

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    why would the seller want to hide the number?
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    djangology wrote:

To prevent counterfeiting.
  • artillerie_lourdeartillerie_lourde Across the PondNew
    The price seems extremely low considering the current market for Selmers
    Neville
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I thought the same thing, but that is just the current bid not the price.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    CalebFSU wrote:
    I thought the same thing, but that is just the current bid not the price.

Yeah, it's still very early in the auction and this guitar *is* being watched.
    Still... the thought of scooping up a 1942 Selmer for under $5K is enough to make me giddy.

Of course, now that it's being discussed on this forum, that'll never happen....
  • FopaFopa San FranciscoNew
    Experienced E-Bay bidders wait till the last few minutes to place their bids,...this still has 4 days to go. The guy has a 100% rating and he seems to have been with E-Bay for quite awhile. It all looks legit, but....expect the final bids to be alot higher then the current $6100.
    -fopa
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Klezmorim wrote:
    djangology wrote:

To prevent counterfeiting.

I thought the exact opposite. It makes it possible for him to sell a counterfeit guitar by not showing the number.
  • fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    Yeah, the absence of a serial #makes me nervous. I wrote to the seller to ask why it wasn't provided. If I get a repsonse, I'll post it.

Also, this guitar doesn't have a reserve price. And although people do bid in the last few minutes, it is still possible that it could go well below what it's actually worth. I've seen it happen. That's a risky game if you're the seller.
    ach mishto
  • fillegitanefillegitane New YorkNew
    The seller wrote back and told me that he's selling the guitar for a friend and the owner doesn't want to reveal the serial number. No reason, just doesn't want to give it.

Caveat emptor.
    ach mishto
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    It's up to 8,300 ...

I guess for that kind of money it might be worth trying to fake one. But it sure looks real to my untrained eye!