DjangoBooks.com

camping at DFNW

AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
edited August 2008 in Welcome Posts: 172
So, I'll be headed to my first DFNW this year. I see that Camping is available, but can't find much info. Can anyone give me the lowdown? Are there decent showers/bathrooms (the wife is coming)? Can I walk to the workshops/shows? Does it fill up (I see no reservations)?

If it's like the bluegrass festivals I've been to, this is where the late night jams will be happening....

Any help/insight is appreciated :)

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    Yes, there is a womens bathroom with 2 separate stand up showers. each one has a shower curtain.

The mens bathroom is the same.

Last year it worked out pretty good although the campsite is kinda sandy and so you get sand sticking to everything. I would bring a separate towel that you can stand on when you get out of the shower. Its basically a sandy area that they are growing grass on top of and so there is sand underneath the grass. Be prepared for that. The fest is a week earlier this year and so my guess is the weather will be quite a bit better this time because I think the jet stream usually changes at the end of September...
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Hi :

I've camped there 2 times.

Thanks for the info about the womens bathroom Jon....I tend just to stick to the mens section myself. :lol:

David
    I am really just assuming the womens bathroom is exactly the same. I never seen it but I think its a very good assumption...

Oh yeah, the walk from campsite to the WICA & workshops is only about 200 meters. Its about 400-500 meters to downtown langley.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Thanks for the info guys - I think we'll be there :)
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Looks like I'll be camping too... looking forward to meeting some of you. It'll probably be pretty chilly, so here's hoping for dry at least and maybe a good campfire.
    It'll probably be pretty chilly, so here's hoping for dry at least and maybe a good campfire.

I've camped there twice and there are no fire pits.

However....one year someone asked at a local fire station and they said that a portable fire pit/container could be used.

So...if you have something like that you should be good to go.

David
    in the past the weather has been a little to wet to hang out at the campsite. i usually will get up, take a shower, and then go hang out downtown at the coffee shops where its dryer.

i think I remember only 1 or 2 out of the 6 or so years I have gone as being warm enough at night to hang out at the campsite comfortably. 2 of those years were pretty miserable. this year is about a week earlier and so maybe it will be nicer I hope.

maybe i can bring a firepit up there with me. my brother lives near Langley also and so maybe i can ask him about a portable fire pit. maybe I can steal some firewood from "lmentry" or from my neighbor and then bring it up with me also.

I have some photos of the campsite somewhere. Email me if you want to see them.
    FIREWOOD IS ON ME.......

ALL YOU WANT !

I hope I can make it also.

David
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Seriously!?!?

I mean, I use a backpack stove in wilderness areas, but this is an established campground, right?

C'est la vie...

I'm gonna have to research these "fire pits"!
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    well I guess I had these romantic notions of some jamming happening in the warmth of a camp fire. Not so much by the sound of it. Surely there must be someplace to cap the nights with some picking and grinning.