DjangoBooks.com

Story behind a tune, why it's called so ?

edited May 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 193
Hee !

I read a story somewhere about Manoir de mes Reves, how he ''made'' the song. The story goes that he had a dream that he was in a castle where somebody was playing a organ. He was playing the mes Reves tune. Its clear that that tune is called "Castle of my Dreams".

But what about Artillerie Lourd, does it has something to do with the town Lourdes in the south of France. And why did he call the tune Caverlie "cavelrie", does it has something to do with war. And clouds, when day is done.... etc. :?

Comments

• François RAVEZFrançois RAVEZ FranceProdigy
    Hi,

Sorry but "Artillerie Lourde" has nothing to do with the town in the south of France (or with Madonna's daughter). It just means, as it is often subtitled : heavy artillery. In french to use the 'artillerie lourde' means to bring out the big guns.

The other tune is, I suppose "Cavalerie" which means cavalry and also accomodation bill note. So may be it has to do with the US Cavalry (Django loved westerns and gangster US films) and may be it has to do with a dishonest swindling.

Best

François RAVEZ
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    when day is done.... etc. :?

For this tune look here:

viewtopic.php?t=2724&highlight=katscher

Best,
    Barengero