DjangoBooks.com

When did Django made the switch to the oval hole??

13»

Comments

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Referring to Teddy Duponts posted photo of the 1935 Studio Guitar

I contacted a friend who is a classical and flamenco guitar maker and flamenco player, contributing author to Acoustic Guitar Magazine and a Spanish guitar historian. He believes the guitar is likely Spanish and made in the Granada style.. but not certain of the maker. It is similar to guitatrs made much later by Pena and Pedragosa.

Note the carved bridge and wooden Golpeador ( tap plate)
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    scot wrote:

BTW, the guitarist behind Joseph is the legendary accordionist/guitarist/artist Charley Bazin.
    According to Charles Delaunay, it is Gusti Malha.
    Here is Charlie Bazin (click on it for a significant improvement in quality):-
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited August 2014 Posts: 1,855
    <i>Django is one of those rare guitarists, like Blind Blake, Gary Davis or Joseph Spence and a handful of others, who sound the same on any guitar.</i>

There are a lot of us out there who fall into this category, though we don't brag about it! ;-)

I once heard a radio interview with Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones, who revealed that he has a collection of about 5,000 guitars.

But as he told the interviewer, "Give me fifteen minutes with any guitar and I can make it sound exactly like all my other guitars."
    Passacaglia
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited August 2014 Posts: 3,707
    The real Gusti question is whether the guy on the right below is an older than we normally see, boozier looking Gusti Malha:-

Hard to tell on the tiny photos but the ears look a little different. Could be the hair but check em out on the original. That's the way pro's do it because without trauma or surgery ears don't change.

@Scot. I beleieve what you may be referring to is called a ARWCM (age related wires crossed moment). I find I get them more frequently than I used to.

This is a little different from the ARML moments.

:rofl:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • spatzospatzo Virtuoso
    edited July 2020 Posts: 768

1935 Stage "B" guitar - let's say - "could also be" a Julian Gomez Ramirez guitar with metal strings