DjangoBooks.com

When did Django made the switch to the oval hole??

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    scot wrote:

BTW, the guitarist behind Joseph is the legendary accordionist/guitarist/artist Charley Bazin.
    According to Charles Delaunay, it is Gusti Malha.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    can someone post a picture of the Carbonell?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
    scot wrote:

BTW, the guitarist behind Joseph is the legendary accordionist/guitarist/artist Charley Bazin.
    According to Charles Delaunay, it is Gusti Malha.
    .........and it looks exactly like him:-
    a wrote:
    Et voila! Being played by Django in 1937:-
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Of course you're right about that photo, Teddy. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that...
    The real Gusti question is whether the guy on the right below is an older than we normally see, boozier looking Gusti Malha:-
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    edited May 2008 Posts: 1,252
    It looks like him - some things remain similar on people as they age - the tilt and relative height of the ears - the relative height of the cheekbones, the shape of the top of the head... both pics have a high right cheekbone, high right ear, right-skewed dome, and overly tilted left ear. Sizes of all these things change with age and fat and cartilege growth, but placement and orientation don't generally change without trauma - or at least that's what I remember from doing a face recognition project some years back.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • KoratKorat NetherlandsNew
    I think it is highly probable that Django did not start playing a Selmer Maccaferri until the end of 1934, possibly as late as mid-1935. Below is a detail from a photo of Django playing an unknown guitar at Stage B in 1935.

There is no evidence at all that Django ever recorded with a Carbonell althought there is a photo of him jamming on Marcel Bianchi's with Steph and Coleman Hawkins in 1937.

I've found the thread I was looking for and I incorrectly attributed it to Terry. In fact it was Scot, who wrote:

"Marcel Bianchi mentioned in several interviews that Django especially liked the black Carbonnel - there are photographs of Django playing this guitar - that Bianchi brought with him from Marseille and that it was used on several recordings. The quintette was obligated to use Selmers at least in public, but Bianchi said he did not like them and sold the three he was given. Anyway, I'm not sure if he meant Django used the Carbonnel on the recordings or he (Bianchi) used it. If Django had wanted to use it, you can bet it would have happened. Those 1937 sessions have a unique sound and I always wondered if the Carbonnel had something to do with that. That guitar was stolen and never has been seen again."

Sorry Terry!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    a wrote:
    Et voila! Being played by Django in 1937:-

Is this a Carbonell D-hole? To me there seems to be lots of similarities, more than just the color. Guitarist is Lelio Vian, brother of Boris Vian, the trumpet player in the front, and the pic is from 1943. (I'm not responsible for the pidgeon obviously having flown over in the midst of the photoshooting, the picture is scanned as it is in the book Boris Vian - Le Jazz Et Saint-Germain.)
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Same band - L'orchestre Abadie-Vian - this time an action shoot on Ab7.