DjangoBooks.com

I keep listening to this...

fraterfrater Prodigy
edited May 2008 in Welcome Posts: 763
I can't stop listening to this. I strongly suspect Raffali is one of the few living guitarist who could have shared the same stage with Django and get away with it... what a beautiful phrasing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RlVXMjBn0

P.S.

As a Bonus, have your ever suspected Tchavolo had B.B. King influence??? Way too strange hear him going electric!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_vmtaFG ... re=related

Comments

• ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    frater wrote:
    As a Bonus, have your ever suspected Tchavolo had B.B. King influence??? Way too strange hear him going electric!

Wow...that was pretty bad...why can't jazz guys play the Blues?
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Elliot wrote:
    frater wrote:

Dunno, but it makes me feel better! :)
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Elliot wrote:

Not always true! I bring you exhibit A -- Gonzalo Bergara:

Gonzalo is pretty damn exceptional though.

But regarding Tchavolo, I'm sympathetic because blues isn't as ingrained into his musical identity as it us for folks like us who were raised on western rock n roll. So he's pretty much doing his best impersonation of blues as he has heard it. I would imagine lots of the gypsies hear us trying to play gypsy jazz in much the same cringe-worthy way.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yeah! Gonzalo kicks ass!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    ...why can't jazz guys play the Blues?

I've seen some dumb posts on this forum, but that post takes the cake.

If you don't think Kenny Burrell can play the blues, you are not listening (or you know nothing about the blues).
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Elliot wrote:
    ...why can't jazz guys play the Blues?

Have you ever heard about Louis Armstrong, Charlie Parker, Lester Young or Coleman Hawkins???
    Maybe you'd want to look them up...
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Sorry, I'm not going to waste my time trying to have a discussion with people who don't try to bother to interpret something within its original context. Move on!

Okay, then...anyway, as for Tchavolo, I agree with you V-dub: I think that what this shows best is that in the end it is all about phrasing. My theory is if anyone learned say 80 great solos' worth of phrases by heart like they do and could move them around by ear where they are needed like you do with the Blues you probably wouldn't need too much more on Gypsy Jazz as far as soloing was concerned - provided you already had Gypsy Picking under your belt.

By the way, the playing on the video was okay, a bit straining, but strictly okay. I don't think the guy has the turnaround down too good to be honest, which may not be flashy but keeps you out of the 'white boy' wanking category. I'm being kind here...
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Must confess I wasn't that impressed too...but then I like Raffalli. :)

P.S.

And this young white boy:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MDCNbacVt5w
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i expect that if Tchavalo wanted to be the best blues guitar player on earth that he could do it. thankfully, he sticks to gypsy jazz, where we need him most. :-)