DjangoBooks.com

when to change strings...

harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
ok, i know this question has no straightforward answer but after how long, or after how much playing does it take before you feel the need to change all your strings? i'm particularly interested in what players who use argentine strings have to say...thanks...

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    If you read through the posts in the "Guitars, Strings, Picks, Ampts, Pickups, and Other Accessories" category you will see that this has been talked about many times already.

In general I would expect about 30 hours out of a set but that is my personal opinion and everyone is different.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    That depends, I change strings at least once a month and I play my guitar for at least 4 hrs. daily.
    Sometimes before the month's up, the high E might break or along with the B get rusted so then I just change those.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I'm supposed to be changing those?
  • harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
    I actually did look, but everything seemed very specified, in any case thanks for any and all input...
  • RivieraRiviera Wellington, New ZealandNew
    After seeing a workshop I noticed Angelo Debarre seems to be wiping down the strings almost after every tune which looks a bit odd I must say, but after trying it myself my strings stayed bright and clear for twice as long. A suppose the sweat corrodes the strings and takes the edge off them or something. Interesting.
    L
  • SimoniusSimonius New
    I always wipe the strings off after playing. And if I have the chance I wash my hands before playing too. Keeps the strings dry and clean so they last longer. I change when I don't like the way they sound anymore, anyone should. And be sure to change before performing. The moment to do it depends on your guitar. If your guitar stays in tune almost immediately (after giving the strings a stretch) it's best to do it as closely before showtime. But a lot of guitar take some getting used to new strings ofcourse.

As for stretching them, I don't do it too much if I'm not going to perform, since all it really does is wear them in a bit so they don't last as long.
  • beebobeebo New
    Any thoughts on "treating" or "conditioning" the neck at all?
    Someone once told me you should wipe down the fretboard with boiled linseed oil while the strings are off...
    I'm not to up on the technicalities of guitar construction here, but i have an Hommage Oval Hole and I am about to change the strings for the first time. Any thoughts on maintenance during string changes would be well received :D

Thanks
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Boiled Linseed Oil is fine - it's not really boiled or heat treated or physically polymerized as the name suggests - I think it may have been at one time and that's where the name came from. Bottom line, it has an additive that causes the oil to absorb oxygen and in so doing - to cure. (the curing is a chemical process that produces heat - which means the rags will get hot as they dry... so don't crumple them and toss them in a corner when you're done... lay them flat on concrete till they're dry.) There are at least two schools of thought on this. Some people like curing oils - some don't. The people who don't like curing oils generally feel that they build up on the fretboard over time and gum it up. The other popular school tends toward mineral oil. Wipe it on - let it sit a few minutes & wipe it off. The important thing is that you don't do this very often. The wood really doesn't need to be 'fed' as is the old wives tale. The oil is meant to make the fingerboard dark & shiny & slick - it isn't a neccessity to keep the wood from cracking. In fact - you can over oil your fretboard and loosen frets etc. Personally I'm a mineral oil guy but I've used Boiled Linseed Oil because I have it around the shop. It's an ingredient in a great neck finish to get that old bare-wood feel... 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil, 1/3 Turpentine, 1/3 Satin Varathane. For guys who like the feel of a bare wood neck but sweat too much to be able to play on raw wood - it's really close to that feel.

Oh, and stay away from silicone or anything that contains silicone or silicone oils because they never ever ever go away... they just keep penetrating and looking for stuff to lubricate... and I can guarantee that you don't want to lubricate the glue joints on a guitar ;) or lubricate under your lacquer... etc.

Frank Ford has some good advice on cleaning up a guitar.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musicia ... ing02.html
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • beebobeebo New
    Thanks for the great information, Bob!