DjangoBooks.com

Stochelo on a Favino?

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
I just noticed that on the The Rosenberg Trio: Live in Samois, Tribute to Django Reinhardt DVD that Stochelo seems to be playing a recent vintage JP Favino. Interesting....never seen him play that guitar anywhere else. Maybe he just borrowed it for that show...if anyone knows the story let me know. He played a Favino in his early years but has mostly recorded with his Selmer over the last decade.

'm

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    isn't he playing a special Eimers guitar that Leo built specifically for that concert? I remember Leo talkign to me about those guitars at Samois
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Not sure but I suspect Eimers worked on the amplification of that guitar so probably it wasn't borrowed. There's a similar favino in the Guitars page on the Eimers site (http://www.eimers-guitars.nl/gallery.htm) but it doesn't look the same. Are you 100% sure it's a Favino? The tail piece is not right and it has no dots on the fretboard. Could it be a Eimers "copy"?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yeah, it must be the special Eimers. The photos in the liner notes showed a bit of the neck which reminded me of JP Favino. But I watched a bit of the DVD and I can see it better. It's not a Favino...and it looks like it has Stochelo's name on the headstock so it's probably Leo's work. Never seen that model before...looks like the transitional model Selmers from the 30s.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    http://www.eimers-guitars.nl/

Go to guitars > Stochelo Rosenberg Model
    I think it's the guitar at the bottom of the page:

Limited edition birdeye maple with Big Tone.
    Yep...that's it! Thanks Enrique....
  • KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Try as I did, I was unable to capture a clear close-up of the headstock logo on this video.

What I *did* capture were a few "interesting" screen-grabs from the "Live at Samois" video. The more I watch it, the more convinced I am that this DVD is the GJ equivalent of the "Zapruder film;" almost every frame is worthy of analysis!

I offer these shots without comment. You folks will chime in, no doubt. :wink:
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Thanks man!
    That first shot captures a great view of his right hand.
    Also looking at the bridge it seems he plays with rather low action, the pic could be misleading but it looks that way to me.
    Also looking at the bridge it seems he plays with rather low action, the pic could be misleading but it looks that way to me.

The height of the bridge itself doesn't tell you much. So much depends on neck angle and how arched the top is. I have two guitars here made by the same luthier, one has the tallest bridge I can find and still has only around 2mm action. The other has the lowest bridge I can find and has over 3mm action! Why? Because the first one has more neck angle then the second one.

Just judging from the sound of Stochelo on that DVD, I'd say it's not that low. He's playing pretty hard and he gets very little buzz. It couldn't be too low...

I played his Eimers guitar a few time when I lived in Holland. It had pretty standard Gypsy action on it....probably in the 3-3.5 mm range. I had to hit it pretty hard to get any buzz. But he may have it lower these days....I don't know.

'm
  • selmer503selmer503 New
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3
    Hi, i saw this thread and started piecing puzzle pieces together, here goes: i bought through facebook an old eimers (photos included). It had been made 2-tone sunburst by Leo as this was THE guitar Stochelo was to play at Samois 2003, however during polishing the guitar fell off the workbench and landed on it's side (where the mother of pearls flower is) which resulted in a hole, and so Leo built him another one (the one that appears on the video). So i bought it, and it needed fretwork, and i wasn't too fond of the sunburst as i could see the beautiful wood underneath, anyway i stripped the guitar, refinished it with nitro and decided on a Busato inspired look, where the top would be aged, but the rest would not, i decided to stick with nickel hardware and changed the tailpiece and tuners, had the frets done, and voila, she plays incredibly, and has a bit of a Busato/Favino sound to my ears, i found the dimentions to be slightly bigger than my Dupont MD-100, which suits the warmer and slightly nasal tone it has. So in conclusion, i believe this to be The guitar intended for Stochelo, but due to circumstances not being "the one" played at Samois 2003. Curious what you guys make of this :)
    P.S. i have asked Leo Eimers and am awaiting response.
    P.P.S. Photo's should appear in order of before, and after refinish
    P.P.P.S JUST GOT CONFIRMATION FROM LEO EIMERS, THIS THE FOREMENTIONED GUITAR!!!!!
    So Happy!!!
    BucoDaveycBillDaCostaWilliams
  • HemertHemert Prodigy
    edited April 2016 Posts: 264
    Actually Stochelo's action is pretty low on his Hahl. However I've seen him play on higher action and he sounds exactly the same and he loses no speed whatsoever.

The trick is in his picking technique. It's very hard to describe in words but the combination of his picking patterns (80% down strokes) the angle of his pick, the looseness with which he holds it and the bouncy nature of his strokes makes it very easy for him to adapt to different action and produce a full round tone on almost any guitar (even crappy ones, yes I've seen that too).

BillDaCostaWilliams