DjangoBooks.com

Most "valuable" gypsy CD I ever bought

JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
edited May 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 32
Romane's "Impair & Valse." Why valuable? It comes with standard notation and tablature AND backing tracks. Wow! what a concept.

And I just love the material. I couldn't find it anywhere in the US. I had to order it from amazon.uk, and I waited weeks.

Maybe Michael could make it available here?

Anyone else agree it's great music and a great teaching tool?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've tried and tried to get that....unfortuantly the US distributor for the Iris label won't import it. It never ceases to amaze me how difficult some European labels make it to obtain their CDs. Are they actually in the music business or is this all a front for something else??!!

BTW, I'd be careful of the tabs that come with the Impair and Valse CD. There are tons of mistakes and it was obviously written out by someone with no knowledge of Gypsy style fingering and picking.

However, I am able to get the new Acoustic Spirit CD set. Same concept, CD with music, TAB, and backing tracks.

romane_acoustic.jpeg

Romane, Angelo Debarre, and Florin Niculescu: Acoustic Spirit 2CDs - Bonus CD-ROM with TAB and Play-Along Tracks

'm
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    Wouldn't you know it? I just ordered 3 CDs from you. :D Oh well, I'll keep my eye on that one.

Too bad Valse & Impair is so hard to get. There are some fantastic lines on that CD. "Soir De Dispute" is my favorite.

Speaking of backing tracks, isn't it about time for a series of Gypsy play alongs? Or are there some already out?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi,

The Pearl Django Book is a play-along:

http://www.djangobooks.com/books/play_along/

'm
  • drollingdrolling New
    On the subject of the inaccuracies, I'm somehow reminded of the borscht-belt joke where one little old lady says to the other "The food here is so bad!" to which the other old doll replies "Yeah - and the portions are so small!"

But seriously folks, I got Valse & Impair specifically to learn 'Montaigne Ste. Genevieve" and was real choked when I discovered that "for copyright reasons" the tab for that tune (and ONLY that tune) was omitted.
    dr
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    * wow, the screen just turned all fiery yellow *

Drolling, that sure is interesting. Who owns the copyright?
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    JAMF wrote:
    Speaking of backing tracks, isn't it about time for a series of Gypsy play alongs? Or are there some already out?

Colin Cosimini has produced a bunch (4 volumes, 15 tunes/45 min. each):
    http://www.cosimini.co.uk/page2.html

And don't forget these for practicing:
    http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/pub/index_jouer_pub.html

Best,
    Jack.
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    :D FANTASTIC :D Thanks again, Jack.