DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Wow! Michael, are you gonna be dealing Duponts regularly now?
    Can you comment on this batch?

As a detail I noticed the MDC100 is listed as having Santos Rosewood back and sides, but it is really mahogany. The MD(C) 60 is Santos.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, I should have Duponts pretty regularly.

These are great...I think the mid-level Duponts have really improved over the years. If you want a traditional bright Selmer type of tone then they are the best you can get under $4K. I find that they sound great with very low action and heavier strings so they play really nice.

ALD's are warmer and Dell Arte has the Favino thing nailed. But for trad. Selmer tone I always recommend a Dupont.

I've mostly been playing the VR....sounds exactly like the one I used to own. So rich, with complexity, and tons of high end that produces really singing leads. The VR is the only new guitar I know of that really sounds like the old Selmers and Busatos. It has that bright "singing" quality to it. Other new guitars sound a bit muted in the high end when compared to the VR.

I think the aged woods help....old wood makes such a difference.

As I always say..a good Gypsy guitar should be a B.L.T. (Bright, Light and Tight). Well, that's what I like anyway. Warmer and darker guitars are also great and have their place. But I always like to have at least one around the house that is super bright.

'm
  • tommasotommaso ROMA-ITALYNew
    Hi Michael,
    is the Dupont MC-100 D hole a long scale guitar?(670mm)

Thank you,
    Tommaso
    Grazie Django!
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    tommaso wrote:
    Hi Michael,
    is the Dupont MC-100 D hole a long scale guitar?(670mm)

Yes, I believe it is. The guitar is already gone and I didn't get a chance to measure it. But I'm pretty sure it was 670mm. When I get another one in I'll measure it.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    The MDC´s are all long scale, 14 fretters. Just like an MD but with a D hole (hence the C... go figure).
    The MC's are short scale D holes and the MD's are oval holes.

100 is Mahogany with mahogany neck.
    60 is Santos rosewood with walnut neck.
    50 is Indian rosewood with walnut neck.
    50 E is Maple with maple neck.
    50B is Brazilian rosewood with walnut neck.

All of these are laminated, the 30, 20 and 10 are made of solid woods (indian, maple and brazilian respectively)

100 and 60 have a satin finish and the 50, 30, 20 and 10 have a glossy finish.
    All have french spruce tops, gold hardware and ebony fretboards.