DjangoBooks.com

Did Hendrix know?

Comments

• TerryTerry hamiltonNew
    Not to be petty but I believe Hendrix's band at Woodstock was not called "Band of Gypsies", but was called "Sky Church". I fully acknowledge that I may be incorrect on that but "Sky Church" seems to stick in my mind and the band was not a trio, but in addition to the usual bass and drums featured a conga player and a second guitarist. He did indeed have a band called "Band of Gypsies" with Billy Cox and Buddy Miles and their only gig was the legendary 2-shows on December 31, 1969, at Bill Graham's Fillmore East where they rang in the new year with the resulting album of the same name, "Band of Gypsies".

As for the word "Gypsies" in the name of his band, I do not believe that this proves his exposure to Django's music although he undoubtedly knew of Django just by his sheer knowledge of music that varied from Muddy to BB King (who mentioned Django in an early interview that I can remember from the mid 60s) to the Beatles (He entertained McCartney at the "Bag o' Nails" with his rendition of Sgt. Pepper the day it was relelased). Undoubtedly Hendrix was aware of Django Reinhardt.
    TerryB
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Hi Terry

The band that played at Woodstock Aug 18 was at that time called Gypsy Sons and Rainbows.

The Sky Church for outdoor concerts and The Electric Church for indoor venues was a project concept he was throwing around mid '69 but he started to regret using the word 'church', because "...it sounds too funky, too sweaty. You think of a person prayin' between his legs on the ground...". Sometime in October Jimi disbanded the GS&R and formed the subsequent Band of Gypsies.
  • TerryTerry hamiltonNew
    Elliot...Yes, thanks for the correction. Hendrix's Woodstock band was indeed called "Gypsy Sons and Rainbows". How could I have forgotten? However, with all due respect to a previous poster, the word "Gypsy" contained in the names of both bands, does not in itself prove he had been exposed to Django any more than Cher's early 70s hit entitled "Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves" proves that she was influenced by Django.

We will never really know for an absolute certainty, however I believe that Hendrix, at the very least, knew of Reinhardt even if he hadn't heard any recordings. The name "Django Reinhardt" would often pop up when his peers were interviewed in the various music magazines which is how I first came across the name in my late-teens in 1969-70 with B.B. King and John Mayall mentioning him.
    TerryB
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    yeah, I would say that the "gypsy" fad of the 60's was probably more of a "spanish gypsy" type of thing anyways. I wasn't around in the 60's but I doubt Hendrix was referring to Belgian gypsies.
  • TerryTerry hamiltonNew
    Other than being a black man with an afro hairstyle he sure looked like a caricature of a gypsy in that colorfully overdressed way complete with a headband. Not at all Django-like, nor even the typical slovenly hippie look of the day.
    TerryB
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    I hear he had Frank's complete discography, lol,..really, I'm a Billionaire, does anybody have any Hendrix stuff I can buy?.... :lol:

Not that I am skeptical after 45 years, but some provenance would be nice, I'd think. Also, can't a guy like Hendrix have owned something without it being claimed it 'influenced' him in some way or another? :roll:

Anybody see "My Dinner With Jimi" ?
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Here appears to be further proof that Jimi knew Django although I wouldn't swear that this hasn't been touched up a bit... AE
    AndyW
  • Time warp time warp .............. :mrgreen:
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bryanologybryanology Los Angeles, CANew
    that can't be real, Jimi Hendrix was 10 yrs old when Django died, at least according to wikipedia....I like to think every guitar player can at least say they've listened to Django
  • kevingcoxkevingcox Nova Scotia✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    I have seen the private collection that picture is taken from and can completely vouch that it is 100% real.

:lol::lol::lol: