DjangoBooks.com

Original Tune ... Le Passe-Muraille

edited May 2008 in Welcome Posts: 597
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6279541

I'd written the melody several years ago but never put chords to it. A few weeks ago I thought I'd finally do so -- basically a 1-6m-2m-5 with the solo section on the rhythm changes AABA. Over the weekend, I decided to try it out as GJ-ish tune. Quick demo take: one take for the rhythm, two separate takes for the melody/lead (and then cut and paste into one).

Recorded on a Zoom H4 with the on-board mics in a kitchen. Gitane D-500.

btw, the title is from a short story by Marcel Aymé, the man in my avatar! It means "The Walker-Through-Walls."

:wink:

Comments

• WowBobWowWowBobWow Another Time & SpaceNew
    Great tune! Thanks for posting it.

and yet another amazing recording. I am amazed at the sound the Zoom gets!
    WowBobWow wrote:
    Great tune! Thanks for posting it.

and yet another amazing recording. I am amazed at the sound the Zoom gets!

Thank you!

The Zoom makes it pretty easy. I just pointed the mic, hit record, and hoped I'd play well enough for a decent take.
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    I remember having to read that poem during a language competition in high school. Nice song.
    I remember having to read that poem during a language competition in high school. Nice song.

Thanks!

There's a poetic version of this short story? Too cool!
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    I think I misspoke (mistyped). Mostly, during these competitions, we would get French poems or sections of short stories that we would have to read to judge both our comprehension as well as our pronunciation. We would be given them about 3-5 minutes before we would have to read them and couldn't use a dictionary.

I just remember some part about "en passant par la muraille" or something like that. My French is a bit rusty these days. I didn't have to read the whole thing so I guess I should have written that I remembered reading an excerpt of the prose. Anyway, nice source of inspiration.
    ^^^Hey, no problem.^^^

I have to read him in translation and most of stuff is out-of-print in English translation. I should work a bit more on learning some more French. I'd be cool to read him in the original.

:wink:
  • Super Mario MaccaferriSuper Mario Maccaferri Route Nationale 20, FranceNew
    Marcel also wrote some excellent children's stories, the daily adventures of two little girls, "Delphine et Marinette" which are assembled as "Les contes du chat perché" How the hell do you translate a "chat perché" in english ?

"Tales of the high-sitting cat" ? :) Perché means it's standing or sitting up in a tree or on a cupboard or whatever. Anyway, nice stories.
    "There's no business like shoe business"
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    on dit simplement

"Perched"

Mais pour nous c'est normalement des oizos qui fait ca...

little hijack, sorry ;)

The tune is pretty sweet! Nice melody, and 1 6 2 5 is so familiar it can't help but feel good. And, to echo previous posts WOW on the zoom H4!

Nice
    The tune is pretty sweet! Nice melody, and 1 6 2 5 is so familiar it can't help but feel good. And, to echo previous posts WOW on the zoom H4!

Nice

Thanks so much! Still digging the Zoom. 8)