DjangoBooks.com

Zoom H2 - really amazing

Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
edited November 2008 in Recording Posts: 1,252
Josh & his buddy recently introduced me to the Zoom H2. The last thing I need is another piece of recording equipment, but I have to tell you - man, I'm really tempted.

This little thing is just ridiculously cool. it is smaller than a pack of smokes, it records in stereo or ambient 4 channel, it stores to SD cards, it runs on AA batteries, it's bottom is threaded to attach to mic or camera stand, and it is braindead simple to operate. Oh, and it does everything from web-quality MP3 up to 24/96 4 channel output - and evidently some enthusiasts have written a program that takes its output and mixes it to 5.1 channel so you could basically use this thing to record the audio portion of a 5.1 DVD of your band if you're a bit tech savvy. OH... and it has a built in metronome and guitar tuner... and it's friggin cheap... and it sounds good.

I searched around and found a good review on it: http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/pub/a/o ... tml?page=1

with some soundfile clips:
A blues jam: http://cachefly.oreilly.com/digitalmedi ... es-jam.mp3

A close mic'd guitar:
http://cachefly.oreilly.com/digitalmedi ... guitar.wav
You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.

Comments

A friend of mine just got the H2, and she loves it. I've already got the H4, but I think you've seen my post about it ... I'm stoked about it!!!
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Well based on the review linked above, I ran to my local music store and picked up the H2.

I have been thinking about investing in a simple home recording rig to record playbacks for practice and this does a great job: it's simple to use yet full of features. I love the built-in metronome!
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    It has a guitar tuner too!
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    How is the screen for reading in low light? I have a little iRiver mp3 player, recorder that works pretty good with external mics, but the screen lettering is tiny and the back light is not very bright. I wear reading glasses but still have a hard time in low light. I lost a whole night's recording last night cause I couldn't see the screen well enough (grrrr....). If the Zoom H2 screen were better, I'd get one.

Craig
    The backlight on the H2 is very good: much like Indiglo lighting on a watch, so it's easy to read even if it's completely dark. I do not wear reading glasses so I can not comment on lettering size and readability.
    Thanks for the reply Patrick. Does the backlighting stay on all the time.

Craig.
    edited January 2008 Posts: 233
    It can be configured to time out after 15 or 30 seconds or to be always on or to be always off.
    Patrick,

Thanks, I ordered one.

Craig
    I don't think you will be disappointed. I use mine primarily to record playbacks for practice purposes. It's a great little box full of fun features.

Have fun.
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    i'm tempted too :roll: