DjangoBooks.com

Dupont: declining quality. Your point of view

Hi,

I am looking for a good oval hole guitar to replace my Gitane D50, now that I know I want to invest in a serious intrument. I cam across Dupont guitars that seem to be THE standard, as played by the best (Bireli, Romane...). The MD50 and the Vieille Reserve especially.
However I recently saw, on lutherie.net, the following message that makes me wonder: Are Dupont instruments still on the top of the list? Is the message below just a form of revenge?
Please let me know what you think, if possible by model...
---------------------------------------
Here is the message I read on lutherie.net:
As of 1 June 2001, I ceased to import or represent Maurice Dupont guitars.

For ten years I had worked assiduously to promote and handle Maurice Dupont's instruments, opening a significant market not only for him but for everyone else who followed him into the American market for Selmer-style guitars.

Over that period of time, the quality of the business connection diminished to the point that I simply had to get out. I always dealt with Maurice Dupont in good faith, and stood by him because I believed in his work. I put out enormous effort on his behalf—running ads, answering a staggering amount of mail, writing numerous articles for journals, selling CDs of the music, doing trade shows and conventions, dealing with customs and shipping, taking care of an increasing amount of after-sale issues. I even drew his label for him. I never came close to breaking even from a business point of view.

As the flow and quality of instruments dwindled, so did the communication. He hung me out to dry with thousands of dollars worth of unsalable or returned instruments. To this day he has still not made even a small gesture to explain his silence and withdrawal - a sad denouement to what was once a very productive working relationship - and a friendship.

Anyone wishing to pursue owning a Dupont guitar may try contacting:

Maurice Dupont
20, rue Port-Boutiers
16100 Cognac
France

Good luck.
-------------------------------------

Comments

• chappiechappie ✭✭✭✭
    Sour grapes. Maurice Dupont is definitely a strange guy but he is still making great guitars. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
    charlie
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I was very happy with my MD-50B. The one thing to know is that even Duponts need a good set up. I have had quite a few come thru the shop and they all have the same issues of uneven frets and in need of a good set up. But once they are set up well Duponts are great guitars.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    I have an MD-50 that I bought new last year and it's a fantastic guitar. It did need a set up, and I had Josh make me a new bridge (not that there was anything the matter with the bridges that came with it). It's a great guitar. I'm not very interested in debates about which guitar is better, and I'm no expert on Selmer style guitars, but I love this one. I also own a Collins and used to own a Shelley Park, and they're wonderful in their own right, but ultimately I feel most at home with the Dupont. Also, in the last month or so, it's really begun to open up a lot. This is a process that I'm sure will continue for a long time, but even at this early stage it's begun to aquire a richer tone. I've tried two other Duponts, Michael's and one other VR and they've both been spectacular. However, in keeping with what you've undoubtedly read in other threads, you should try before you buy. Ultimately each guitar is different and the name on the headstock means far less than the guitar itself, its response to you, and your response to it.

I hope this helps.

-Paul
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • mmaslanmmaslan Santa Barbara, CANew
    That's from Paul Hostetter's site. He was very helpful to me when I was choosing a guitar a few years ago. He was the first person to distribute Dupont's guitars in the US and he did it without taking a cut. I believe he was Paul Mehling's source. He's a precious resource--very knowledgeable. My impression is that M. Dupont was not responsive to concerns that began arising from customers about some of his guitars and the relationship soured. The dispute was not about profits. You should email Paul if you have questions for him.

If I were considering a newer Dupont, I would want to play it before purchase--but then, I would prefer to do that with any guitar. As many members here have said, each guitar is different--especially each handmade guitar. So consider Dupont, certainly, but don't assume the name is a guarantee of perfection any more than any other would be.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I have two Duponts, an MD20 that was built to Favino specs for Moreno and a Vielle Reserve. Both are outstanding....and I've played a number of MD50s which are very good. What I've found is that the higher end Dupont are almost always great. The MD50s and below seem a little more hit or miss. Some are a bit mediocre, other fantastic....but in general they're very good and probably the most traditional sounding. Fapy always said other then Selmers, Duponts were the best you could get. But he also hates Favinos...ha ha

Duponts, like the original Selmers, are very bright and piercing. If you like a more balanced guitar, these are not for you. although some models are surely mellower. But the MD50s, Vielle Reserve, etc, are very, very bright with limited low end.

'm
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    i use a vielle reserve that has a great cutting sound.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I just bought an MDC 60 that was made on July 2007.
    I'm completely in love with it.
    I picked it out against a more expensive MDC 50B(originally my first choice) and an MD 50.
    Mine just had the best tone of the three (for me), though the other were great too...I also had a chance to compare it with three Busatos and a bunch of other vintage pieces and mine totally held its own.
    This is just my experience and I have Stringswinger and Montereyjacques for their wonderful advice.
    I second the "try before you buy" advice, (about any luthier) but Dupont is a good way to go.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk about guitars and Duponts more.