DjangoBooks.com

rhythm vs. lead

jayjayjayjay New
edited February 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 29
I am really interested in and much more naturally inclined to becoming a rhythm player in the GJ style. Would it be a bad idea to focus solely on rhythm playing, or is it best to learn both lead and rhythm playing? Does anybody here just play rhythm?

Comments

IMO I think it's a great idea, especially if you're drawn to it.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    jayjay wrote:
    Does anybody here just play rhythm?

I play almost all rhythm guitar, and it's been the best musical experience I've had yet. Being a rhythm player in this style is very different from most forms of jazz, and gypsy jazz soloists are always happy to have good accompaniment. Being a dedicated rhythm guitarist has meant getting to play with a lot of great musicians I otherwise wouldn't have met. I've found too that a lot of people getting into gypsy jazz now concentrate ONLY on lead playing and can't play rhythm too well...in the US at least being a real student of rhythm guitar means you'll never be lonely.

That said, I do still practice lead playing, and I'll take an occasional solo at a jam or a (very) informal gig. I've always found that, for me, one feeds the other to some degree, and I learn more by studying both, even if I concentrate on one. Also, it's hard to deny the joy of soloing, even if you're only playing simple lines. But if you have no interest at all in soloing, I wouldn't worry about it-do what you do!

best,
    Jack.
  • Ryan FlahertyRyan Flaherty New EnglandNew
    Rhythm is where it is at baby! Focus on it for sure... even if you are a lead player,,, you will not be a strong lead player unless you are already a strong rhythm player... so no matter what go rhythm!