DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz Amplification/Pickup System Overview

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Sorry, the overview was written before the Ischell became available. The Ischell is similar to the Schertler in that it uses putty to mount it to the top. However, it is a real microphone so the sound quality is even better. It has outstanding resistance to feedback (better than the Audio Technica Mics), but still won't get as loud as a bigtone or Stimer. But a very good choice for quiet to medium volume level performances.
  • BernieBernie France Gitane DG 300 J.Jorgensen
    Many thanks for these comments. I understand where the difference lies now. Seams like the Ischell is worth a try, possibly the closest to my wishes so far...Still wonder if it is more feedback resistant than the AKG 411PP that I've been told to work better in noisy places than the Audio Technica Mics...But forget it, you must have better things to do.
    Best regards, Bernie.
    What about Stimer amps with the Stimer Pickup or that with a peche la mouche amp and pickup?
    What about Stimer amps with the Stimer Pickup or that with a peche la mouche amp and pickup?

Both very nice rigs if you'd like to get a vintage Django tone and/or some tube warmth and complexity. The Stimer amp has a larger 10" speaker and is relatively clean except when driven really hard, in which case you'll start to get some Django-esque breakup. the Peche a la Mouche has a smaller 8" speaker so it's a bit smaller/lighter and has the ability to get both a clean or dirty sound at low or high volumes.

M
    What is the difference between the Stimer M12 and M6?
    What is the difference between the Stimer M12 and M6?

The M12 has 12W of power and a 12" speaker. The M6 has 6W of power and a 10" speaker.
  • drfretboarddrfretboard NetherlandsNew Ger Boonstra
    Hello all, is this posting upto date as of december 2018? Or are there new important options to consider?
    @drfetboard actually, not a whole lot has changed. Generally the vast majority of pro players and pretty much everyone else uses one of three time tested pickup systems:

1) Bigtone - the best piezo as it is internally mounted in the bridge which makes it way more feedback proof than top mounted systems. It's also better sounding as it doesn't pickup the "reverby" qualities of the top that stick-on pickups do.

2) Stimer (or similar magnetic pickup like the Peche a la Mouche or Krivo.)

3) A mic, usually DPA or Ischell but the Audio Technicas work well if you're on a budget.

Most people still use the Schertler or AER amps, and some have adopted the Henriksens, especially for use with a magnetic pickup which they do well with.

I hope that helps,

Michael
    Mehran sKing_CardboardBillDaCostaWilliams
  • drfretboarddrfretboard NetherlandsNew Ger Boonstra
    @MichaelHorowitz I recently became the proud owner of a new Boonstra guitar, a Petite Bouche type.

Ger installed a ("real", as he would say) BigTone in it.

This is my first serious venture as far as owning Gypsy-jazz oriented gear and my next purchase will have to be the initially most practical amp to match the guitar. I can imagine venturing into mic setups after getting a first setup together.

Ger also mentioned Trace Elliot amplifiers but it seems like the desirable type isn't being produced anymore. Do you know about these amps?
    @drfretboard Trace Elliot had the very first acoustic amps in the 80s. By the 90s they were quickly surpassed by AER and Schertler. They did import some new models into the US about ten years ago but they didn't do well and are no longer available.