DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthdays

FEgger FannieTall

Schertler Dyn G sans Unico comments

marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
Many have posted comments on the Dyn G with/without Unico amp. To add mine:

I do not have the Unico, but was able to get a great sound with the Dyn G (Thanks Michael for over-nighting it) much better than I expected. I used a Bose 802 II speaker (with the controller/equalizer) powered with a Crown Micro-tech amp. Granted, this is essentially 1/2 of a fairly hi-fi small PA, but I also attribute the sound to the use of a tube mic preamp (a Presonus) and a Highlander DI/eq. The Highlander has 4-band parametric eq (minus the adjustable bandwidth), so I was able to mimic the effect of the "Reson" control on the Unico, which is a boost/cut at 180 hz. (Actually, I notched out around 220 hz.) I worked this out at home and made only very minor adjustments on a gig, where it sounded even better, probably since I wasn't trying to crank it to the max. I was also able to boost some high frequencies and get nice treble without any harshness or brittleness. This was a refreshing change from years of always turning down the treble with piezo pickups.

So I think that it is partly a question of eq. I would think that any hi-fi rig which does not color the sound, along with a parametric eq, would work well. Another option would be the Schertler preamp. You would probably want to by-pass any existing pre-amp by, for example, plugging into the effect return.

Mike A

Comments

• mitch251mitch251 marylandNew
    This post seems a good place to piggy back a question.
    I am getting ready to travel by air for some gigs and recording and I would like to go without my Unico. The problem being is that I dont have a Shertler pre amp and I was wondering about how the DYN G might work with
    a Bags preamp or somthing similar or is the Shertler pre the only
    way to go?

Thanks Tom
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator Dell Arte Hommage
    the only thing the Schertler amp or pre-amp have that a Baggs wont give you is the "resonance" effect... which is some sort of chorus effect I believe but Im not sure about it... all i know is that you will be ok without your Schertler amp being packed with you...
    ---
    "I want to party like its 1939!"