DjangoBooks.com

Funny Guitar-centric Gig Story

CampusfiveCampusfive Los Angeles, CA✭✭✭✭
So, I get a call for a client who's planning his 30th birthday party. He's doing a speakeasy/gangster theme, and hires my 30's-40's swing band, which is of course is not exactly the perfect match but whatever. Later, I find out the venue is a warehouse where the client's dad "stores his cars."

So I show up, and the warehouse is in an unassuming little industrial park. I walk in, and I'm greeted by several Rolls Royce's from the 1930's, among other amazing cars. It was pretty amazing - it looked like a really great car museum. Not being a car guy, I was impressed, but didn't really think much more about it.

The wanted to show where to stash cases and stuff, so he takes me to a back room and this is what I find.
l_d17f50fbcf1c559e541655c5daafd310.jpg
l_0bccf31f77e3ac00b831be6badee7e00.jpg

So, that was just two of the walls in the room....
Among the collection of Super 400's was a 1939 Super 400 "P", and oh that's a D'Aquisto New Yorker there also. Oh, and on the other wall, that's a 1934 D'Angelico. Bear in mind these don't show the other walls, with the series of L-5's and the other D'Angelico - a late 30's Excel.

So, I chat up the guy's dad before we started playing, and he offered to show me the collection, and said I could play anything I wanted. He said I could even take any of the guitars out of this secured back room and play them on this gig. So... I went for the gusto:
l_6ceb0e704bd46b427338f33a59719252.jpg
So I played the whole last set on the '34 D'A. Pretty awesome.

Then the dad tells me I should come by the house sometime, because that's where most of the collection is....

He mentioned one of the only things he doesn't have is a Selmer. Too bad.
Pretty much the best gig surprise I've ever gotten.

Comments