DjangoBooks.com

Maccaferri Concert Conversion Kit

If you're looking for a nice winter project, this may be an interesting one! I'm offering conversion kits to convert that dusty nylon string (just about any model) sitting against your wall, or taking up space in the closet, into a Maccaferri style nylon string Concert. The kit includes a template for cutting the "D" soundhole, a Macafferri style bridge, and all the instructions. Options include rosette material ( a router would be helpful, but you don't necessarily need a rosette) and tuners. Includes all the instructions to set intonation etc. Send me an email if you have any questions...

<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

I'll have some before and after photos next week. I converted an old EKO classical, but am taking it one step further with a french polished top.

I could also do the conversion for you.

Thanks! Robert

Comments

• manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Just a short history lesson for those who may not know... Maccaferri made the "Concert" model which was very much like the Orchestre except it had a flat top and fan bracing, much more like a conventional classical guitar. It was big bodied like the Orchestre and was originally designed to accept the soundbox like the Orchestre. It also had the fretboard extension and "D" hole. For the most part the bridge was pretty typical of a classical guitar bridge, but larger. Another classical guitar in the line up was the "Espagnol" which was much like the Concert but had a more conventional appearance, without the "D" hole, and contained a soundbox modified to fit the smaller round soundhole. The other nylon string was the "Classique" which was a very conventional guitar. You've probably all seen photos of Django playing the Concert.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    I'm all for having fun with routers, but that sounds like something which should only be attempted by an experienced woodworker ... the router piece at any rate. Without proper jigging, the top of an assembled guitar is not a very stable surface and if the bit grabs the fingerboard... goodbye guitar and maybe goodbye fingers.

Sorry man, don't mean to be a wet blanket but I've been to the emergency room a couple of times in my 20-some years of woodworking and have developed a pretty good (hopefully good enough in the long run) sense of things that are sort of risky. Big power tools on small or light or flimsy pieces of wood... tend to be. I would hate to think of someone borrowing a friend's router and winding up immitating Django both physically and artistically Ce n'est pas ça?

However, I look forward to seeing your pics.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • manoucheguitarsmanoucheguitars New MexicoNew
    Hi Bob,I've been working with wood most of my life too so I'm well aware of the dangers!!! This isn't that tough since I designed the D template large and heavy enough to help create a stable surface for cutting or routing, again you don't need to do a rosette anyway and the guitar will look very nice even without one.... However if you choose to do one, not that hard, typically. Of course I could do the conversion for the faint of heart... One other thing to remember is that you can do this with hand tools and completely eleminate the power tool dangers, and in fact can even be more fun and rewarding! Thanks for your input!

Robert