DjangoBooks.com

GJ guitar setups in the DC area?

gbartgbart Maryland,USANew
Hiya folks, just wondering if anyone knows of a good, reliable person to see in the DC area that knows enough about these guitars to do a setup.
The guitar in question is a Saga Gitane (Lulo model) that I purchased this past June. Im fairly new at this, the guitar sounds fine to me but would like to have a competant person have a look at it.
After reading some of these post I would prefer to have Josh Hegg do it but I cant seem to find the means to go on vacation to the NW US to bring it to him and I couldnt part w/it long enough to mail it;).
Thanks.

Comments

• Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    If it sounds fine and you can't find a good recommend - keep it the way it is till you can get to a festival close to you where you might be able to slip Rodrigo Shopuis or Michael Collins or Bernie Lehmann a bit of the green stuff to do the setup (I don't know if they do this or not, or whether they carry any tools with them to shows, but if you don't want to mail the guitar to the West Coast... it might be your best option and I think those three guys tend to go to the Northeast shows - Josh Hegg went to Django in June once... that would have been ideal)

Gypsy Jazz guitars are unique beasts and I've seen otherwise competent setup technicians do crazy things to them... like deepening the bridge slots >1mm (great for that fuzzy zither tone...) and even saw one "slot" the zero fret. Wow! I heard of one guy who had his guitar setup... the tech lowered the action way down and then moved the mustaches to match the bridge and now the guitar has the mustaches in the wrong position!! (which acoustically doesn't matter but looks like crap when setup to the proper action)

Not to put the fear of God in ya... but I'm glad you're looking for someone with experience with these instruments.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I agree with Bob. Leave it alone for now if it sounds good. If you come to Django-a-go-go in NYC next spring, or Django in June next June, someone can look at it there. Rodrigo is always there, and I believe Josh Hegg was at D in J this year. If you really have the itch to have it gone over, ask Jacques Mazzolini at gypsyguitars.com if he knows anyone in your area. He is just north of Baltimore, and may well know a competent technician in the DC area.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I was at Django in June! It was the best! The jamming, shows, amazing people.. Just a blast all around...

I will be there again next year and I will be at DFNW as well should you happen to be there I could do a set up there.

Can you tell me what it is about the way your guitar plays/sounds now that leads you the the conclusion of needing a set up? I'm 100% behind well set up instruments I just need to know what your situation is.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • gbartgbart Maryland,USANew
    Thanks folks for the replies.
    Josh, Im not really looking to change anything at this point, just thought it would be nice to have someone look at it that might have some recommendations as to how to make this fine sounding guitar sound as good as it should. It may be there already;)
    Ive read some of the posts that suggest changing out the bridge, fret leveling and such but being a mechanic I would have to know what changes and why. This is the first GJ guitar I have ever touched so I just dont know and am not in a rush to change things just to change them, still getting the feel of how it is. I have more work to do on me than on the guitar. Just like to know that it is getting the same attention and breaks that I am;).
    Thanx again and remember---
    Keep Cool But Dont Freeze!