DjangoBooks.com

Chapman Stick

StickStick NYNew
edited July 2005 in Violin Posts: 7
I play the Chapman Stick. Although it is a more modern instrument, I hope it will be accepted in the Django musical family. I have sat in with players and done versions of Minor Swing, Djangology etc. But I know it's not in the "true" tradition to play this guitar/bass hybrid. Anyone have any thoughts on the situation? :?:
I perform on the Chapman Stick. I record for Jazzheads Records. My latest CD has guests, Larry Coryell and Tony Levin. Also I produce the Long Beach Jazz Festival and write for Twentieth Century Guitar.

Comments

• thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Well if you're ever in London you can sit in with my band!
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Stick wrote:
    I play the Chapman Stick. Although it is a more modern instrument, I hope it will be accepted in the Django musical family. I have sat in with players and done versions of Minor Swing, Djangology etc. But I know it's not in the "true" tradition to play this guitar/bass hybrid. Anyone have any thoughts on the situation? :?:

i do a hotclub arrangement of Crimsons "Elephant talk" ......
    Actually Fripp has an amazing free floating right hand.
    Shame he plays Ovations :-)
    Stu
  • StickStick NYNew
    Interesting, Elephant Talk done swing style?
    Would love to catch that. Where do you perform?
    I actually don't play much Crimson. More Wes, Django, Led Zep etc.
    Playing with Larry Coryell in May. Should be fun.
    Steve :)
    I perform on the Chapman Stick. I record for Jazzheads Records. My latest CD has guests, Larry Coryell and Tony Levin. Also I produce the Long Beach Jazz Festival and write for Twentieth Century Guitar.
  • marcus johnsonmarcus johnson mauiNew
    I'd think the Stick would be an ideal instrument for gypsy swing. You could do the whole thing yourself! I owned one before I was playing gypsy music, long ago (I'm a double bassist). I never got past the "messin' around" stage...too busy with bass work. But I sometimes wish I hadn't sold it. There is a guy named Bob Culbertson who has developed something called the "Acoustick", which is exactly what it sounds like. He has a solo CD out on the instrument. Maybe if you had someone build a Mac-style Stick, you would turn some heads!

Larry Coryell is such a lovely guy. He played with our group "Gypsy Pacific" a couple of years ago, on an archtop. That was a fantastic experience. His solo intro to "Nuages" had everyone's jaws on the floor.
  • StickStick NYNew
    Thanks for the reply. I know Bob Culbertson very well. Great guy and great Stick player. Ive been trying to get to Maui for a while. In Jan. I'll be in Kauai after the Calif. NAMM show. If we ever get to your island I'll look you up. You can email me directly at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> or www.steveadelson.com
    Thanks
  • marcus johnsonmarcus johnson mauiNew
    Please do! I'm listed in the Maui phone directory, and I'm playing somewhere pretty much every night.
    wow, I didnt realized it was Steve Adelson! You rock man, you are incredible. The videos on your site are awesome.
  • StickStick NYNew
    Much appreciated. Please visit the Stick booth when I demo at NAMM show in Calif. every January. I'm performing this Saturday at NAMM in Indianapolis as part of Muriel Anderson's All Star Guitar Nite sharing the bill with Django dudes Joscho Stefan trio. Also on the bill. Johnny Hiland and Seymour Duncan and a cast of millions. Should be a blast.