DjangoBooks.com

copyright questions

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    here's another question , do you guys any songs that are pulbic domain that are often played in django style? thanks
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    Many books are available that use "a progession similar to 'Such and Such' "...and also many that retitle (often lamely) a set of chord changes and call it something like "All of Myself" or "October Leaves" or something like that, which is 100% legal since chord changes are completely exempt from the copyright law.
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
    hi john, that's exactly my questeion, if chords aren't copyrighted why can't I say: "Let's look at the All Of Me chord progression"

why would I have to change the name of the song
  • jmcgannjmcgann Boston MA USANew
    Herr D:

I think it's a case of CYA- "cover yer ass" as in "just in case" as in "no blood in the water to attract sharks" :twisted:

Reminds me of the great quote "the fighting was so fierce because the stakes were so small"! :twisted:
    www.johnmcgann.com

I've never heard Django play a note without commitment.
    thanks john, imagine if all these copyright laws existed around bach's time... he would probably have been executed for grand theft... and today we'd be just discovering triads and major scales
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    keep it simple just say, a traditional jazz progression or a jazz standard chord progression
  • HCPhillyHCPhilly Phila. PA✭✭✭✭
    "about django 's compositions not being public domain i was under the impression that in Canada, the 50 yrs after death rule applies"

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US, the family or estate of someone like Irving Berlin, usually renews the copyright when the original one expires, since the songs are still in use, [earning royalties]. Someone may have already answered that for you.
    Cheers,
    Barr
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    HCPhilly wrote:
    "about django 's compositions not being public domain i was under the impression that in Canada, the 50 yrs after death rule applies"

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US, the family or estate of someone like Irving Berlin, usually renews the copyright when the original one expires, since the songs are still in use, [earning royalties]. Someone may have already answered that for you.
    Cheers,
    Barr

OH yeah you bet! The Berlin, Gershwin and Porter estates are pretty much THE HIGHEST royalty collectors at ASCAP
    AJATango wrote:
    The Berlin, Gershwin and Porter estates are pretty much THE HIGHEST royalty collectors at ASCAP

"Happy Birthday" gets around $2 million a year!!!

FYI, only the words to "HB" are copyright-protected; the tune is in public domain. So hum along and all is well! 8)

http://www.unhappybirthday.com/

Kiss my ASCAP!
  • AJATangoAJATango New
    believe it or not the berlin estate alone makes more!