DjangoBooks.com

Opinions wanted: Best around $2000 guitar???

124»

Comments

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Well I was talking about manufacturing in general, not only instruments. Don't get me wrong, I've seen a lot of junk here too :) But my point was skillfull manufacturing also exists here and I've seen some amazing things living here.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Interesting you are making this argument, gitpicker, considering that in the US we are up to our necks in recalls from Chinese made products, a million strong and growing. Plus hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats have had their kidneys blown out eating industrial products that no sane country would allow out of their ports. Perhaps you would care to explain how that figures into your rosy picture of China's current manufacturing capabilities. There has never been such a tragedy here from any other country. This is unknown in Japan and probably Korea as well, certainly nowhere near the degree we are seeing here. Perhaps there is a difference between manufacturing capability and manufacturing standards but in the end it doesn't make too much difference when your dog is dead and your kid is retarded. I can't even think of a top quality Chinese guitar manufacturer, to be honest with you, although lately they seem to be doing a brisk business with poorly made counterfeit Fenders, Gibsons, Martins, Gretsches, Jacksons and Ovations which are also flooding this country. (Yamaha's offshore factories are in Taiwan, in case anyone is wondering)

My comment about the great handiwork of Asians in general I assumed includes China.
    Ya point taken in regards to the recalls. Unfortunately in manufacturing ethics and capabilities don't always go hand in hand.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    I've played many nice guitars from Asia over the years. In particular certain Yairi and Yamaha guitars from the 70s were great-sounding and very nicely built instruments. Likewise the Ibanez lawsuit L-5s. But even the very best Asian guitars always seem to lack the intangible qualities necessary to elevate them from the realm of good guitars to the realm of great guitars. I don't know why this is - but I suppose it's the reason that I've never seen an Asian guitar go up in value. Buying a Martin is a vastly different experience than buying a Takamine. And I realize that there are generational and cultural values at work here. Many young people today just are not as interested in the things that make a Martin or Favino what it is as I am. And as the quality of cheap guitars has gone up, the price of top-grade guitars has gone up more.

Political systems and governments that don't value the individual are always poor stewards of their resources. China has zero interest in things like CITES. The Chinese appetite for exotic natural materials (including endangered animal parts like ivory) is infamous - look at what their demand for quilted big-leaf maple has done to the supply of trees in the Pacific northwest. Trees are being poached just for those sections that contain the guitar-grade figured wood. And today we can buy cheap Washburns with quilted maple (thin, thin veneer) back and sides - wood that was traditionally and rightly used only for the most elite instruments. I have no beef with chinese craftsmanship, which is certainly as good as people say it is. I know that people believe that these guitars put a higher quality guitar in people's hands at a lower price, but as a longtime union worker, I can tell you that low cost often comes at a high price. Caveat emptor.
    Yes I share that same sentiment with you Scot. These are very precious materials you are talking about. It's hard to watch such precious materials be taken so instruments (and often good ones at that) can be turned into commodities.
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Good job man...
    ...Whew!!!!! ...
    ...Congrats on the new guitar! ...
    ...I second that...
    ...salud,amore,y dinero! ...
    ......Ok how about some pics already!!!! D-hole sweet...

Thanks!!
    I'll post pics soon....my avatar it's a pic of it's back.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Here are the pics.