DjangoBooks.com

Esztam Beat??

chip3174chip3174 New
edited June 2007 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 135
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but I just got the Gypsy Rhythm book (fantastic work Michael) and I friend heard me going through the basic examples. He asked if there was a rhythm called the "Estam Beat", or maybe also spelled "Esztam Beat"?? He explained that it accents on beats 2 and 4. I wondered if it isn't just some Eastern European word for "La Pompe." Anybody here ever heard of this "Esztam Beat?"

Thanks,
Chip

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    HI...I've never heard about that. There are so many rhythms that accent 2 & 4. Maybe he's referring to the trad. Eastern European 2 beat rhythm.

'm
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    It refers to a specific kind of rhythm indeed, like adagio or rubato.
    It's from hungary I think, and should be very related to the traditional "pompe", with accents on the 2nd and 4th beat on a 4/4 structure. As Mickael said, you;ll find these in Hungaria or Romania.
    It looks like Esztam could be translated "offbeat".
    - JG
  • ManoucheriesManoucheries Europe:Romania✭✭✭
    Hey,

Could you tell me if there are any gypsy guitarists in Romania...because I don't know if we have any in Romania
    Thanks
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    I don't know, but maybe you should ask this on the manoucheries forum website, there are some gypsies there, they should be able able to give you some answers...
    http://www.manoucheries.com
    - JG