DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz in Shanghai, China

gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
edited April 2007 in Welcome Posts: 213
Hey folks, just thought you might like to see some things I'm doing playing
Gypsy Jazz while living in Shanghai, China. Just doing my part to spread the music while I'm here. Here's a video of me and my friend Yao Min Fei in Shanghai practicing Czardas. She plays the erhu, a traditional Chinese two stringed bowed instrument. The picture is kinda dark. I am playing my Collins petite bouche. We have a swinging little quartet out here. There are a handfull of French guys I met out here that I play with too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1bZ3-tSYwE

Here are a few pictures from some gigs here also. In the first two pictures, I'm the one in the middle. In the last one, I'm on the right. Anyway, enjoy the video and if anybody has plans to come to the Far East, by all means, stop in!
Doug Martin
www.dougmartinguitar.com
Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone

Comments

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    Oh, and the small chance that anyone DOES make it out here, call me, I'll take you around.
    (86) 13162794245

Doug
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    Cool vid!

Keep up the good work!!!
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Doug,
    Great to hear the you're spreading the word about gypsy jazz in the far east! Good luck with everything:)

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
  • gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    doug , you should start a "Shango Festival"

Haha, I like that! Just what we need right? We'll get somebody at one of the factories out here to make a Mao Zedong signature model right?

You're the main man in Montreal right? Maybe what you cats need up there is a Dennis "Chang-go Festival"!?!

Haha, all the best!
    Doug
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    wow she shreds!

I've tried to play the Erhu before and it sure aint easy.
  • marcartemimarcartemi Shanghai ChinaNew
    Hi Doug, hi everyone!

I was sooo glad to meet you in the guitar shop of my friend that Sunday when you arrived, since then I'm learning so much about manouche (only manouche?) with you!Hope that we can play live soon the four of us, I feel so good when we are all together :!:
    I'll just present myself for everybody, I'm french -born in Spain but not in a caravan- and have been living in Shanghai for one year and a half. Not really great sound and fast playing just trying to make it sound nice... one day how knows?!
    Great forum by the way, I'm sure I'll come pretty often to have a look and read you guys. :D

Ciao ciao!
    Marc
    ..little by little..