DjangoBooks.com

Andreas, what pick-up?

DiggerDigger New
edited January 2007 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 77
Andreas, would you(or anyone else who knows about these things) be so kind as to tell me what this pick-up is that your using in this video. Many thanks and Happy New Year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqP7ALdE1SY

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hi Digger,
    The microphone is called Schertler Basik and it's a really good attachable microphone that creates kind of a vintage sound. It's actually cheap too..only around 150 euro or something like that.

Happy New Year to all of you!
    Andreas
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've been using the Basik as well...great little pickup for Selmer type guitars. Really captures the "crunch."

Neil Andersson of Peal Django also uses one now...they're definitely gaining popularity.

Basik
    Pickups

• guit_boxguit_box New
    Can you tell us a little more about it? Would it work best to plug it directly into the pickup input on my AER60 or would it be better to get the "pro" version and plug it into the mic input. Does it really require 48v, since I don't think the AER has the full 48v PP.

What kink of amp are you using with it Andreas?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You don't need the pro version with the XLR....we almost never sell those. I think the idea with that was if you wanted to record or play live into a mixer that only has XLR inputs you could do it. But if you run into that situation you can just go to radio shack and get a 1/4 to XLR for a few bucks.

The Basik does require phantom power, but I believe the AER will supply that. If it doesn't, the pickup comes with a battery pack that will supply it.

The Basik isn't nearly as hot as the DYN, so you may need the stat-pre or pre-aii pre amps to get super high volume levels. (Other pre amps won''t work, only electrostatic ones which I believe only schertler makes.)

'm
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    I think Neil Andersson posted that he's plugging his directly into his AER. I heard him play that way at DFNW and it sounded great (of course it could have been the player ;-] ).

Charlie
  • DiggerDigger New
    Thanks for your replies. I like the sound of this pick-up a lot, and no drilling of holes in the guitar, I assume?

Can anyone recommend a supplier in Europe?
    Hi again,

I usually plug it straight into the AER with the phantom adapter, sounds better than the UNICO in my opinion.

DYN-G is a better microphone in general BUT not for Selmer style guitars if you ask me.

If you're in Europe and want to avoid ordering from the US, you can easily order them from AJL Guitars in Finland.
    E-mail <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • guit_boxguit_box New
    How would you describe the difference in sound between the two Schertler pickups?

It's interesting that Andreas describes the Basik as more of a vintage sound. I listened to two different YouTube live performances where he's using the Basik in one and the DYN-G in the other. The Basik seems to have a more limited bandwidth and is focused more in midrange frequencies. It does sound a bit like an old Django recording. The DYN-G was both deeper and brighter sounding, but the tone is not as interesting in my opinion.
    Yeah, that's a good way of describing it. I think the Basik sounds a bit like Django did on the recordings with the ATC big band.

Best Regards Andreas
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy
    Have you guys who use Schertlers experienced any finish damage from the repeated application of the pickup to the guitar top?

Thanks,
    Charlie