DjangoBooks.com

FAO:- Dennis C.

DiggerDigger New
edited April 2013 in Licks and Patterns Posts: 77
Hello Dennis, I've got a power tab file of yours entitled Gypsy Picking Technique and I was wondering if there's a sound file of you, or anyone else, playing it? I can hear it through power tab, but it's not quite the same, is it?
Thanks very much.

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    man that stuff is 5-6 yrs old , i was just starting out in the django style and had made some discoveries with the picking technique ... i put it in powertab format just to share it with some friends... but then it started going around... there are a few mistakes in it... i don't remember what's in it exactly... but if you're really interested in this... you're better off getting Gypsy Picking and Gypsy Fire

hehehe i should start becoming a business man, i sold tons of shit for michael at django in june
  • DiggerDigger New
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I've already got both the books you mention, and very good they are, too.

I rather like the idea of the study format of your file, you know, to be used as a warm up, or if you've got ten minutes to fill in before lunch or something, then it's ideal.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    if u want to work on technique, i suggest u learn waltzes.. especially the dutch waltzes... that'll get your technique going!! plus their musical and fun to play
  • DiggerDigger New
    That sounds like a very good idea. Where might I find these waltzes?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    dennis wrote:

hehehe i should start becoming a business man, i sold tons of shit for michael at django in june

Yeah...you're a born hustler! Get your Waltz book done and you'll become a millionaire!! :shock:
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    dennis wrote:
    if u want to work on technique, i suggest u learn waltzes.. especially the dutch waltzes... that'll get your technique going!! plus their musical and fun to play

I think this is some of the best advice I've read in this forum.
  • aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    where can i find the dutch valses?
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    edited December 2006 Posts: 527
    Hi,
    a good one to start with is the Valse a Bamboula, a composition of Fapy Lafertin. You find the original on his "Hot Club Quartet" LP,

http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... e=lafertin

but this one is hard to find.

Here is a transcription of the version played by Angelo debarre. This version is better known than the original. It is included in the "Gypsy Guitars" CD (a real milestone by the way).

http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... he=debarre

Enjoy,

Barengero
    … and here follows the second page:
    Here I post the rare Fapy original version.
    It works best if you really use the rest stroke technique.
    Have Fun,

Best,
    Barengero