DjangoBooks.com

GJ fake book

CynekulCynekul New
edited February 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 38
What is the best resource for repertoire for a beginning GJ student? Is there a fake book that contains the QHCF repertoire or a book with transcriptions of the melodies and changes to Django's repertoire?

~Paul V.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    i've heard that the Pearl Django Play-Alongis outstanding! :wink:

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    i've heard that the Pearl Django Play-Alongis outstanding! :wink:

'm

Shameless! It is a fun one, though. If you're looking for one book, there really isn't one...if you read standard and already know the chord voicings, you might like Mike Peters' Django Reinhardt Anthology. That one's mostly his own tunes, so you won't find the american tunes they played, but you will get seventy tunes including Blues en Mineur, Minor Swing, Anouman, Troublant Bolero, and a lot of the other classics that aren't too tough to break into. Robin Nolan's Gig Book will give you a mix of Django tunes and standards, but only in tab for the head and with mostly triad voicings instead of full five/six note chords. There's also a lot available for free online (check the links for rookies thread here); just be aware of errors. Oh, and I hear Unaccompanied Django is outstanding!

Best,
    Jack.
  • CynekulCynekul New
    Well, I ordered the Pearl Django Vol. I tonight, that will give me a start. I've been working out of nothing but Gypsy Picking and Getting into Gypsy Jazz for the past 3 months so it will be nice to get back to shedding repertoire. Which is why we shed the methods in the first place, right? lol
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Paul, check the links for rookies page. Jack has compiled a very good resource for finding all sorts of things on the Web. Thanks to Jack for it.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Paul:

I think without a doubt that the Robin nolan series is one of the the best learning tools to start out with....the gig book as Jack mentioned or his individual books that also come with play along jam tracks.All the heads are tabbed out and chord forms shown to get you started playing the Hot club changes.
    Colin Cosimini also puts out a fine series and has 3 volumes out at present with 150 songs grilled out.....a bit more advanced and altered changes , but another great resource.Colin also has 4 playalong CD's with
    15 tunes per CD.
    Between these two, the Gadjodrom site, and the forums available ,you should be able to master this style of music in about the 30 year mark. :)

I personally only have 28 more years to go..... :shock:

David