DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Would this be the first Mahogany backs and sides used on a SAGA selmac?
    I will assume that the backs and sides are laminated?

Good looking unit.

How does the Cordoba O-5 compare with the SAGA oval hole?
    Price seesm very low.. is the quality in the ballpark of the SAGA ?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Bohemian wrote:
    Would this be the first Mahogany backs and sides used on a SAGA selmac?
    I will assume that the backs and sides are laminated?

I believe so!

Bohemian wrote:
    How does the Cordoba O-5 compare with the SAGA oval hole?
    Price seesm very low.. is the quality in the ballpark of the SAGA ?

The O5 is OK....it's about what you'd expect for $400. The workmanship isn't as good as the Sagas. Usually not as loud as the Sagas wither. But one thing I do like about the Cordobas is they're actually a little more Selmer like in tone. The Sagas have a tendency to be very bass heavy. The Cordobas are more crunchy....more coming from the mids and highs.

'm
  • poboxnycpoboxnyc New YorkNew
    "The O5 is OK....it's about what you'd expect for $400. The workmanship isn't as good as the Sagas. Usually not as loud as the Sagas wither. But one thing I do like about the Cordobas is they're actually a little more Selmer like in tone. The Sagas have a tendency to be very bass heavy. The Cordobas are more crunchy....more coming from the mids and highs.

If finish etc is not an issue, but sound is, wouldn't the Cordoba be a "better" buy? -- Especially considering (from what I've read) that the Cordoba neck is a thicker neck -- most of the complaints re: Gitane 255 are about the thin neck. How big an issue is the thin neck? And with the custom gypsy setup and bridge from Djangobooks, I'm assuming there would be an increase in the volume as well? If there real criteria is sound and the thickness of the neck important, why would I pick the Gitane 255 over the Cordoba? Is it worth the extra $140.00? :idea:
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    poboxnyc wrote:

If finish etc is not an issue, but sound is, wouldn't the Cordoba be a "better" buy? --

Hard to say...in most cases I'd say no. The workmanship on the Cordobas is far below that of the Gitanes. I think you get a lot for that extra $140. When you look at the details of construction, you really notice it. The Cordobas are just a little sloppy. However, they sometimes can shine. But they seem to be a little inconsistent....and across the board not too loud. Most people who have bought them have only cared about one thing, price. If you can afford the extra $ you're most likely better of with a Gitane.