DjangoBooks.com

When??

pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
edited January 2005 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 245
Okay, I'll bite. When is the book coming out, and are you selling it?

-Paul
Reject the null hypothesis.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Andreas is working hard on it...he's in NYC right now but will finish it when he gets back. I'm co-writing with him and it will be published through DjangoBooks.com.

Good to know we have at least 1 customer!

-Michael

p.s. Andreas will be taking over this forum when he gets back from NYC.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Well, I'm sure you won't lack for customer's, but it's nice to be at the head of the queue! 8)
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    especially since Andreas spent so much time with Jimmy, this will be an interesting book. i can't wait for it. :-)
  • jazzyjazzy Kristiansand, NorwayNew
    I`m really looking forward to this book. Can you give share with us a little of what the book will contain? excersises? right/left hand technique?
    Does Andreas use the traditional gypsy-picking always, or just when he plays this kind of music? I`ve heard him play more beboppish things...
    Thanks for a great forum :)

Michael, Norway
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Andreas is one of my favorite new guitar players ,

from what I've seen and heard, he does not use the GP technique; nonetheless he's one of the very few who still manages to sound authentic! incredible...

what impresses me the most is his command of not only django but also wes and benson and probably others too...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Andreas can answer there questions better then I. From what he's told me, when he plays Gypsy style he pretty much uses Gypsy technique. Lots of rest strokes, etc. For his Benson style stuff it's a more conventional picking technique.

The book will contain 30 or so Gypsy patterns and he'll put together 4 solos using those ideas. CD comes with it of course...

-Michael
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hello Guys! I'm in NYC playing with Stephane Wrembel, Joel Beaver etc. and it's great fun! I'm happy to hear that many of you are interested of my new book. I'll answer all of your questions when I get home on monday.I've already been playing three gigs and these are the ones remaining. Hope to see some of you there!
    Best Regards
    Andreas

Jan 12 Chez Oskar
    guest with Joel Beaver and Jared Engel
    211 DeKalb Ave. (Fort Greene)
    at Adelphi St. NYC

Jan 14 TRUMPETS JAZZ CLUB
    With T.B.A
    6 Depot Square
    Montclair, New Jersey

Jan 15 Fada
    guest with Eric Rodgers and Jared Enge. 530 Driggs Ave. (Williamsburg/Greenpoint)
    near N. 8th St. NYC
    Just thought Id mention I am as excited as a boy at christmas for the upand coming release sounds great, would be nice to know if the solos contained will follow the chord progressions of classic gypsy tunes I always find this to be helpful in putting straight into standards.
    Best wishes T
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    I have written down 30 licks that are very useful for gypsy jazz players.
    I've learned many of them from Jimmy, Yorgui etc. and although many of the gypsies use them, I've never seen them in any of the instructional books. I've tried to avoid licks that have already been presented in previous books by Michael, Stephane,Angelo etc..
    Every lick comes with notation, fingerings,tab,upstrokes/downstrokes and pull ons and pull offs so it will be easy for the reader to learn them.

I'm also writing down four solos based on chord progressions from some of the most common standards songs in gypsy jazz, where I use some of the licks so the reader will learn how to adapt them in to their own playing.

Personally, I use the gypsy picking technique but not when I'm playing bebop alá Benson because then I prefer to use alternate picking. When you play gypsy swing it's necesarry to use the gypsy picking with reststrokes to be able to get the right phrasing and full volume from the guitar.
    Sincerly Andreas
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Andreas glad to hear you had a good time in the States. I can't wait to see the new book. It's always neat to have a few tricks up your sleeve to throw out there when the audience is starting to look at their watches (Do you have this problem? probably not). Are you going to include some of your more Boppy type licks? I hope so. Either way Michael put me on the list.
    P.S. Andreas any word on your new Gypsy/ Bebop album I am still digging the sample.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.