DjangoBooks.com

Triplets exercises

emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
edited July 2006 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 472
Recently I had some problems of muscolar tension and unclean sound playing over fast tempos, so I've finally decided to start making some serious practice using the metronome. This is a thing I've always considerd boring and frustrating (not useless, don't misundertand me) but, as Michael suggests in his Gypsy Picking book (and most of the great instrument players in their lessons), is essential to improve your technique, sound, volume, attack and all the rest.
I've started writing some exercises by myself using PowerTab and practicing over backing tracks I make with Band in a Box, starting with the tempo marker at 120, looping the track and gradually improving the speed, depending on the exercise difficulty.
The most important thing is to increase the speed only when you are really ready to do this, exactly when you are able to play all the notes really clean and in a relaxed way, but you already know this...
We can start with a couple of exercises about the triplets, something really important for Gypsy Jazz playing, expecially for right hand tecnique. The pickstokes are all indicated and I suggest to follow it to play the exercises in the right way.

Comments

• emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Here the Band in a Box backing tracks for both exercises. If you don't have the program try to use the metronome or take a look here:
    http://www.band-in-a-box.com/
    Full package here, all included.
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    wow guess my luck, I was using the search feature to look for help on triplets and this post was posted a few days ago! Is there any chance your exercises will be converted to TefView files for the few mac users out there?

Kudos on the work-
    V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
    vince wrote:
    wow guess my luck, I was using the search feature to look for help on triplets and this post was posted a few days ago! Is there any chance your exercises will be converted to TefView files for the few mac users out there?

Kudos on the work-
    V
    Try this way...
  • vincevince Davis & San Francisco, CANew
    wow splendid! thanks so much. And with triplets, there should be virtually no pauses between one set and the other, right? Sorry I'm a beginner to triplets pretty much.

V
    I don't know whether I'll ever be an excellent player if I keep practicing, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be if I stop.
    vince wrote:
    wow splendid! thanks so much. And with triplets, there should be virtually no pauses between one set and the other, right? Sorry I'm a beginner to triplets pretty much.

V
    Hi Vince,
    no pauses, just a half-duration note.