DjangoBooks.com

GJ in Washington DC area?

edited September 2006 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 2
Hi Folks,

Just starting the journey to learning this style of music (or at least *trying* to learn!). About 8 months ago, I saw John Jorgenson play, and while I had always been aware of Django (been playing guitar for 14 years), the show inspired me to revisit the music, and discover all of the tremendous talent of players in the world. WOW! Caught the bug!

I live in the DC area, and I wonder if anyone could recommend any local teachers in the MD, VA or DC area, I would be super grateful....

Thanks!

Comments

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    try bobby johnson, www.myspace.com/bobbyjohnsonquartet (i think!) great player, and a nice cat!
    B.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Sorry to be late on this one, but I just stubbled across your post this morning. If you haven't already heard of him, Tom Mitchell is a great guitar teacher of all things that swing including gypsy jazz. He is a great player and a real gentleman as well. I took lessons from him for three years and still go for the occassional refresher. I can't say enough good things about him. He teaches in Baltimore and Annapolis (perhaps elsewhere as well). His website is

http://www.yellowcarmusic.com/tommitchell/bio.htm

You'll find his contact info there. Or email me.

Craig