DjangoBooks.com

mp3 blog

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited September 2006 in Welcome Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

I wonder if anyone's seen this: http://gypsymp3.blogspot.com/
It's odd; it's described as a site for "lovers of gypsy jazz, also known as jazz manouche, or simply "Django's Music", yet the author seems to complain about almost everything he posts. Don't get me wrong; I share some of the views, but it seems an odd way to spread the word about something you profess to admire. I wonder if it's anyone on the forum?

On Boulou:
Boulou Ferre was probably one of the most annoying kids ever, if you listen to this album I think you'll agree. He also comes off as very arrogant 20 or so years later in the well-known film Django Legacy", but then again, he is French!

On Wrembel's first album,where he played much of the rhythm himself:
This guy can shred the gypsy stuff quite well. Some people wish he would get a better rhythm player to complement his sound, no offense if you're the guy.

On a Note Manouche album:
Although it's pretty much a "jazz standards done in gypsy style" album (which has a habit of falling flat by resorting to cliches), Tchavolo Schmitt shines and Marcel Loeffler shreds.

On a Galliano/Bireli album:
More than anything, this is a French Jazz album, and French Jazz is quite strange, particularly given this instrumentation. Mostly Galliano sticks on the straight path (exception: "Sertao") and Bireli plays his cheesy comp. Occasionally you'll hear a gypsy lick stuffed into the song haphazardly.

What do you guys think?

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I think if you're going to distribute artists' copyrighted music for free on the internet (undermining their way to make a living) and THEN criticise it, you might just be the BIGGEST ASSHOLE I have ever encountered.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    He is distributing it for free!!! :shock: I agree that would make you a pretty big asshole. What is the But he is French comment about? I think if there is a cat out there that can be kind of arrogant it is Boulou. I mean he isn't making Jaco claims or anything in Django Legacy is he. Maybe the last time I watched it my French was pretty bad.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • RichRich New
    Yeah, very odd. Like you say Jack, he says he likes gypsy jazz and then goes on to complain about it all. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there were some positive comments in there.. but there are very few.

It worrys me that it seems to be coming acceptable for people to make sweeping generalisations about other white nationalities. There seems to be a type of person who wouldn't dream of insulting countries like Pakistan and India, but happily insult countries such as France and Germany. It annoys me more as these people seem to be given columns in newspapers to express their views to as many people as possible.. well this is true in England at least. It's enough to make a man want to go live in the mountains..

Anyway, rant over.

Maybe this guy's blog will get taken down due to copyright issues.. or maybe he'll read this thread and change his ways. Time will tell..
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    yeah here in "the south" (with a little s) It is very acceptable to bash the French or Europeans in general. Although you hear very little criticism of the English. Go figure. I get it a lot about playing "french music" Sorry for the rant as well but it is pretty annoying.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Too true...the really sad thing is when I get it from other jazz musicians. SO many really great players still refuse to give any credence to the idea that Europeans had, and still have, much to give to the music. Everyone wants to think Django is Dixieland, a relic...

My larger point here, though, isn't about his prejudices, or even about his illegal file sharing (I think Nick summed it up nicely), but about the effect a site like that might have on the opinions of people new to the music. To me, it seems like it would be better to showcase the stuff you really love, right? I think (from looking at where his mp3s link) it might be that he's often relying on stuff he can grab from other sites.

It's too bad, because a site like that could really help spread the word if it caught on (much like this one has!). There must be plenty of music that could be shared legally that would do the job-the Out of Print site discussed so much a few months ago comes to mind...maybe I should start a blog featuring some of that stuff!

Best,
    Jack.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    First, he's echoing a commonly held perception that the French believe themselves to be the cultural center of the universe, (much as the Chinese hold themselves out as the cradle of civilization), so I wouldn't confuse it with the anti-French sentiment that has arisen due to recent politics.

But the copyright issue and whether an artists' livelihood is being taken away is complicated. It depends on who you are. There are artists on major labels who have allowed people to freely dl their entire catalog, for the reason that they'd rather sacrifice the 25 cents they end up with for the $18 charged for the cd because they know that someone who's interest is aroused through exposure to their music will be more likely to see them live, and that is where they make their money. Plus, some people don't own their own songs, the record company does. I'm happy to have Hittin' on All Six - why should a company continue to make money on an artist forever till eternity when during their lives they are commonly exploited mercilessly? How much do you think Les Paul is getting - one of the few who is alive on the set - out of the total? Maybe recording companies will become more motivated to support new people instead of just depending on a never ending backlog, which would be a good thing.

For people who are on small labels, or making and selling their own cds, the situation is slightly different, and ultimately it should be up to the artist to decide how much of their music should be free of charge, but you cannot put the egg back in the shell - many if not most people who become interested in a certain person's music did because they heard/got some of it for free, and now are willing to pay for the cd or concert ticket, and that is the way it is.

As for the blogger's comments, he is offering strong private opinions in the guise of aesthetic criticism, take it for what it is worth - like all blogs, not much.
    It's true, artists make dick squat from records, if they belong to a label. There are many reasons behind this - probably the biggest one being "recoupable" costs where they actually have to pay back tens of thousands of dollars to the record company for promotion and such. In the end, artists will be in debt or make a little money if they're lucky.
  • RichRich New
    he's echoing a commonly held perception that the French believe themselves to be the cultural center of the universe, (much as the Chinese hold themselves out as the cradle of civilization), so I wouldn't confuse it with the anti-French sentiment that has arisen due to recent politics.

Even if its a commonly held perception its still a horrible generalisation. Most of Europe seem to think that all English people do when drunk is fight.. i've never thrown a punch in my life yet get drunk fairly regularly. I don't like people to form an opinion on me based purely on the actions of people who live in the same country as me.. and I like to treat people as I would want to be treated. I have lived with French people for the past 3 years.. and never once did I hear them mention being the centre of anything.

As for copyright issues.. if I went to a gig by Stephane Wrembal (which I intend to do at the first chance I get) I'd most likely buy his cd. But seeing as this guy is giving it away for free, why would I? I don't know what Stephane's setup is.. but I'm pretty sure he'd prefer me to buy his album than get it free.

If that was my album, and some guy put in on his website for download without asking me first; I'd be really pissed. As i'm sure most people would be.

But anyway, echoing what Jack said.. of course he is allowed to say whatever he likes.. its a free world.. but why bother to be so negative? I'm guessing deep down somewhere he loves this music, so why not just focus on that..
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Needless to say, I totally agree with you Rich, even though at the last major concert I went to last summer, Prince, that's exactly what happened - they were giving his current cd away for free at the door.

I'm not defending the guy, but I believe I read something about "obscure or out-of-print" there somewhere. Perhaps he believes the scene has evolved enough to apply a more rigorous level of criticism than we as players who only want to popularize the music have seen up to now, as misguided as it seems to be. I for one have already gotten tired of the "Birelli is God" movement. In fact, after hearing Eddie Lang and getting deeper into Armstrong, I'm even re-evaluating Django. In my off moments, sometimes I wonder if it weren't for these incredible Selmacs (BLASPHEMY ALERT) whether Django wouldn't be considered as somewhere below say, Joe Pass or the like. But then, I usually shake it off and tell myself "Lo, this cannot be!!!"
  • RichRich New
    In my off moments, sometimes I wonder if it weren't for these incredible Selmacs (BLASPHEMY ALERT) whether Django wouldn't be considered as somewhere below say, Joe Pass or the like.

Haha.. you really are playing with fire there. I can't say I have listened to enough of anyone other than Django to really comment.. but you must remember that Django didn't have Django to copy.. a fact a lot of people seem to forget.