DjangoBooks.com

Hometown boy does good. Ted is Cool.

langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Europe Posts: 99
This just in from the Continent...

My friend and yours, Mr. Ted Gottsegen, has opened Samois playing with Wawau Adler.

Go, man, go!!

He won't have to fly home now, he can just float home on the air currents.
I'm sure he'll have a full report when he returns stateside.

T.I.C. (spread the word).

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    nice one Ted!

I guess I'll have to pay him more now that he's a Samois vet, .... :shock:
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I only hope Dennis has the video-so far I've been able to steal precious little from Ted!
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i'm burned out... i filmed about 9 hours worth of videos, and i slept maybe 20 hours in the past 5 days
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    dennis wrote:
    i'm burned out... i filmed about 9 hours worth of videos, and i slept maybe 20 hours in the past 5 days

sleep is for alternate pickers! drink some coffee and start posting some vids...:D

Ted just called with some juicy Samois gossip. Apparently Bireli was being a little difficult this year.

'm
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    So . . .I need more info- aside from totally unedited videos from everyone! (happy to trade, or put peope up here in NY or whatever). More info, GO TED, GO! so, who else played, what tunes, was there an open stage, what campground jams were good, was norig there . . . ACH . . . soo many questions . . . as soon as everyone wakes up, start talking!
    B.
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from my first Samois, I really should take the day off tomorrow, but eh...

Anyway, to answer some quick questions:

1. No Norig to be seen (No Jimmy Rosenberg, either =( )
    2. Ted was hand-picked by Wawau as a rhythm player to fill in some time between sets (Bireli was late) and he was great. I could hardly believe it when he walked onto stage, I honestly don't think I cheered harder for any other performer that weekend.
    3. Bireli played a rather... interesting set. I'm sure you'll hear more about that in the days to come.
    4. the best Jams were in Samoreau at camp Sebastien, Matthieu, and Adrien. No suprise there. These guys are playing on a phenomenal level. The unlimited creativity and chemistry they have is mind blowing. Many great players joined them throughout the week as well, including Robin Katz, Ritary, Matcho, Samy, David Reinhardt, Paulus, Andreas...
    5. There was an open stage. Some great acts were seen there, including an amazing Stanley Jordan (two hand tap) style player, David Reinhardt, etc.
    6. Other famous gypsy jazz players sighted around the island: the ferre brothers, moreno, robin nolan, john jorgenson, patrick sassois, angelo debarre.
    7. This was probably the most well documented Samois ever (if not by Dennis alone). I saw a ton of digital cameras and even some folks with fully fledged boom microphones. I recorded a bunch of videos as well, and I'll be sure to post some when I get the chance.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    i filmed so much ,and i'm tired beyond belief, i dont think anyone would understand the extreme physical and mental pain i had to go through to get the absolute best and clear shots of every jam / concert.... toward the end of the fapy concert, i almost resorted to violence because some idiot tried to steal my chair ... spending my last night in jail would've topped it all...

anyway here's a video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=N_JHQ1BctA4
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    It was truly a great weekend!
    Teddy G actually played on main stage twice...he played with me on the friday night :wink: It was only like he and Stochelo who were up there twice :!:

My best memory was the late thursday night jam I had with Bireli and Chris Campion at Chez Fernand. Playing with Moses was fun too, nice one Dennis!

Best Regards
    Andreas
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I got to witness Dennis' persistence. In fact, many of my videos are obscured by the back of his head since he always managed to get the best shot. No hard feelings, I guess that just means you owe me a DVD copy of your footage!

Hey Andreas, who was the young guy who you played with at Chez Fernand Sunday afternoon who was playing wes-style on electric guitar? I wanted to post some videos of that, but I want to make sure he gets credit.
  • AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Hi V-Dub,
    I'd love to see some videos from that session. The kid's name is Eddy Vaeldo a french gypsy who loves the style of Wes Montgomery. Hi did this little session with Stochelo and after a while Stochelo handed over his guitar to me..

Btw, did we meet during the festival? I'm not sure who you are :roll:

Best Regards
    Andreas