Logo
Call Us
Categories

DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today's Birthdays

gcw philou Zouny1 brians356

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Cherokee: Tune of the Month, July '06

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited July 2006 in Repertoire
Hi all,

I posted the message below over at the HotClub UK forum, but it applies here too...I promise I won't be on permanent leave, but the next month or two might be really busy for me. I'm confident of help, though, since it already began last month! All I ask is that if anyone wants to go for it they choose a tune from the list below. At any rate, here's the original message:

I wonder if anyone is up for making the Tune of the Month a collaborative effort here...at least for the next few months? The summer stretch is busy for me with gigs and though I hope to not fall behind I can't promise anything. So if anyone's interested in helping out, let me know! These are some of the tunes I've had in mind for upcoming TotM posts:

Flèche D'Or
Montagne Ste. Genevieve
Stompin' at Decca
Micro
Si Tu Savais
Viper's Dream
Cherokee
Bouncin' Around
What is This Thing...
Bossa Dorado
Troublant Bolero

If anyone wants to take a crack at it, feel free! I'll be sure to check in, at least.

Best,
Jack.

Comments

• The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    edited June 2006
    I'm no wiz at this stuff so I cannot offer any real "insight". But I would tip my hat to anyone that would take a crack at "Cherokee".
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I would also vote for Cherokee. I often see Gypsy guitarist play the head in chord meoldy I would love to see anyone'schord head arraingments. Since I am pretty terrible at arrainging those types of things.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • pallopennapallopenna Rhode IslandNew
    Andreas did an impromtu version - actually two versions - at the Django in June masterclass last week. One was bebop, the other gypsy. He demonstrated how to articulate, and imply, the changes while maintaining an improvised line. All I can say is: wow.
    Reject the null hypothesis.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys,

Let's say [i]Cherokee [/i]it is! Now who's going to take it on? Our lead player copped some of the chord melody stuff from the [url=https://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/item--Angelo-DeBarre-and-Serge-Camps-Gypsy-Guitars--debarre_gypsy_guitars.html]Gypsy Guitars[/url] disc; I'll check in and see what he can show me...I think it started something like this, but I'm just guessing, and the fingerings are probably wrong...

---------6---3----------------------------------------------------------
    ---6-8--4---3---6---3--6--3--1-----------------------------------------------
    -7-------5--3----5--2--5--2--1------------------------------------------------
    ------------------6--3--6--3--1-------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's up to youse guys...

Best,
    Jack.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Christian Escoude's basic chord melody arrangement of Cherokee can be found in the current issue of Guitarist Acoustic.
    http://www.djangostation.com/article.ph ... rticle=509
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Is there any way to post that or see it on-line thanks.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • MontereyJacquesMontereyJacques ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Some more bits and pieces (I should be back on top of the Tune of the Month thing for August; sorry about the half-hearted July...):

A basic lead sheet:
    A-Cherokee.gif

A basic grille:
    cherokee.gif

I usually play something like this:
    A Section:
    Bb6/9 | % | Fm7 Fm7/C| Bb13/B Bb13| Ebmaj7 | Eb6/9 |
    Ab7 | % |Gm7 | % |C9 | % |
    1st ending: Cm7 | G13 |Cm7 |F7 |
    2nd ending; Cm7 |F7 |Bb |Bb |
    (Bars 3 & 4 I'll often end up changing during solos, maybe just sticking with straight Bb7, or Fm to Bb7, or often using a bar of Fm9 and a bar of E9 leading chromatically down to the Eb of bar 5.)

B Section:
    Pretty straightforward, as in the chord chart above, though I sometimes split the two bars of major chords into one bar each of a maj7 and a sixth. One really great thing we ripped off from Angelo is shifting into 3/4 on the bridge of the head. It's on this album if you want to get the feel:

angelo_gypsy_guitars.jpeg

Intro/Outro:
    The intro I play couldn't be simpler-I'm just laying into a Bb chord. (If you want to hear it, we've still got a pretty lame recording of it up on our myspace site) The out changes but it's always simple and definitive...

Sorry again-I'll have more time next month...
    Jack.
  • Angelo probably ripped the 3/4 bridge thing from Hans'che Weiss and Titi Winterstein