DjangoBooks.com

Favourite players you wish had released more stuff

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Jokes aside, there's certainly an aesthetic reason we appreciate artists that didn't produce more, it leaves us wanting more. Just like the tension created in music when there is space, or when a song builds and ends abruptly. There's something about an artist with "incomplete" works, the ones who "died too young", etc. Maybe we wouldn't appreciate it as much if his music had continued into the 50s/60s, then it would be "oh yeah Django was great until he joined the Beatles and sold out". Anyways, maybe not a thread for a philosophical discussion on aesthetic theory but I'd talk about that topic for days 😂

TwangBuco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,454

I really want to hear Adrien Moignard just do a straight Django album. No guests, no vocalists, no weird instruments..

He doesn't record a lot of it, but when he actually plays Django tunes it swings so good! Sadly most of that ends up on the floor of Taverne de Cluny, or just floated off into the air at Samoreau at 3am.

Give me a whole album of this:

Bucoadriannomadgtr
  • BonesBones Moderator

Who knows but seemed like Django was headed for bebop...at least.

mac63000
  • TwangTwang New

You don't think he'd have got heavily into Messiaen and spend his life composing for the pipe organ?

Every once in a while people lament about the music Django would have come up with had he lived longer. I've been among them too. But imagine the flip side. After his injury doctors were telling him that he's done with music and I'd think friends and family too. If he wasn't so damn stubborn and defiant and wouldn't listen to anybody imagine the loss we'd all have?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • edited June 2020 Posts: 4,730

Clasico? It's as straight as it gets.

PS you did say no guests though...

Bonesbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

I totally agree about Django. It would have been great to see how his music developed. It never stopped changing and developing; absorbing the new but still somehow retaining his uniqueness.

mac63000rudolfochrist
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Definitely Tchan-Tchou Vidal.

The tone, his amazing sense of melody, great songwriting chops, and "space" in his playing. Apart from Django, he's one of the few players I can listen to for hours at a time without my ears becoming tired.

Don't get me wrong, I love speed-demons and like to hear a mix when I'm actively listening. But Tchan-Tchou just makes me feel things even when I'm passively listening (e.g. cooking, cleaning, playing video games, etc).

I just have a sneaking suspicion he wrote some more great waltzes that have been lost to time or are only known by a select few alive today.

mac63000
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

I'll add Rocky Gresset to my list.