DjangoBooks.com

Picks

Hey guys! I am currently using Wegen Big City picks and they are working well. Great sound, don't slip in my grip and I get four for a little over 20 bucks. Just wondering what you guys are using? I have read about the Killy Nonis picks. Anybody using these? Bluechips? The Christiaan van Hemert signature pick? Others? Better for rhythm of lead? Love all input. Thank you!

mac63000Passacaglia

Comments

• PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

I now have a collection of Manouche picks made by Jokko Santing, in Holland. I don't see the name associated, but Michael sells several varieties here. Otherwise, Jokko will sell directly and I bought one from a German outfit as well. I play rhythm only, at least for now, and I've never been more in love with picks as I have with these. My two go-to's now are the "Nous'che Signature" pick and the "Rominoo." Really warm sound, feel great. More expensive, but I'm really happy.

matthewkanismac63000
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

For me, the pick which best supports my ability to control my techique easily is the one. Tone and volume should come a close second. I think that If you play lots of lead, the pick should work best for lead, even when you play rhythm.

Some people can pick up any pick and control it; others seem to need the right shape, bevel, and thickness.

Your personal style, angles of pick attack, how loosely you hold the pick, the guitar's scale length, string thicknesses, action, etc. all are relevant.

I tried half the GJ world's picks, including the Big City for a long time. I finally came back to the Wegen GJ-3.5mm, but this time with no indent for the thumb (gives me a more solid feel).

matthewkanisPassacagliamac63000Buco
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

I'm also on the 1.8mm big city bandwagon. I use them on everything for every style of music. Comfortable, stiff, light touch, no clicking sound when they hit the strings... I know it's subjective for every player but if anyone is on the fence about giving them a try, I think they are definitely worth it for the price.

PassacagliamatthewkanisBillDaCostaWilliams

I'm actually using the Big City 1.4. For years I used 1.5mm picks for jazz, so the 1.4 was an easy switch. Might try the 1.8 in the future.

Passacagliamac63000
  • mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B
    edited June 2020 Posts: 248

I've not tried the 1.4mm but I imagine they are pretty similar to the 1.8's. I went from jazz III tortex picks to the standard Wegen 3.5, then picked up some Dunlop Primetones for even thicker before trying the big cities. I'm used to a smaller pick for jazz and electric guitars so they give me the closest feel to that. I never felt that the thicker wegens added a lot of value to my rhythm playing, I feel I get a wider range of control on the attack of the pick and like that I don't have to turn the pick to the round edge etc. However, it seems to be a matter of what people are comfortable playing with. I don't have very large hands either so I'm more comfortable with the size. Definitely fun to experiment with though!

• edited June 2020 Posts: 92

For me, the big city sticks out far enough from my grip that it easily lands flat on the next string for rest strokes, but not too big to slow down the double down going from one string to a lower string. I also tried the Wegen GJ in 3.5mm. Works ok for me, but a little bulky. For whatever reason, the shape of the big city sit perfectly in my grip so they don't move around even when my hand sweats. I imaging this is very different for every hand. I still wonder what is the thickness and response of the Killy Nonis picks as some people seem very excited about them. The specs are not included on the **** website where they are sold here in USA. Also considering trying the Christaan van Hemert signature pick but it's 2.5mm which is a little big for me. Overall happy with the big city 1.4, but like all of us, I always wonder if the grass is greener on the other side:)

Passacaglia

I couldn't resist. I just ordered a pack of big city 1.8 from Michael. Hopefully this weekend I will do a comparison and update you guys.

mac63000
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭

I prefer large picks myself. The Wegen Fatone 5mm is about the perfect pick in my mind. However, in the endless search for topping perfection, I've started making my own picks based on the Wegen Fatone design. I've been making them out of Buffalo Horn, due to the excellent sound quality. I just cut them, shape them, and then polish them with Simichrome polish and I pretty much have a pick with a sound as close to real tortoise shell as I can get. Here are some pics if you're up to doing such a thing yourself:

matthewkanisPassacagliaBuco
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

2.0 Dunlop Gator grip

easily best bang for your buck, and love the tone they produce. Warm sounding pick

matthewkaniswimrudolfochristjonpowl
  • h24015h24015 New jean barault, mateos

I started 4 years ago with Wegen. A year ago, I bought a another GJ guitar and in the case was a Jean Barault Selmer pick (amber in color, these show up in accessories on this site). I just happened to try it one day and have not played with another. For me I just played better instantly.

matthewkanisPassacaglia